Five Questions With...
Mentee Mallory Daily, Arts '14
Five Questions With...highlights mentors and mentees in the Marquette University Alumni Association Mentor Pilot Program. This month features Mallory Daily, Arts '14, who is mentored by Dr. Mary Hunt, Arts '72, and Lisa Konieczka, Arts '86.
1. What has been one of your key findings thus far as a mentee?
Realizing how vast the professional world is outside of Marquette/Milwaukee. My mentors have introduced me to several organizations and opportunities I likely would have never discovered, and for which I am incredibly thankful.
2. What are your current plans following graduation?
I’m applying to select domestic post-grad service organizations for next year. I hope to expand my interests in sustainability, women’s studies, and writing while building community and solidarity with whomever I meet.
3. What advice would you offer other mentees to maximize the relationship with their own mentor?
Prepare specific questions. Although I always have topics I would like to discuss, our conversations are much more valuable when I have a few questions written down.
4. What have you learned from your mentors that will help plan for the future?
Dr. Hunt helped me realize that post-grad service is really the best “next step” for me. Job experience and networking opportunities through service communities can be just as strong as a salaried job. Lisa Konieczka has worked with me on my professional presentation, giving me tips on my resume, personal statements and interviewing techniques.
5. In the remaining months of the program, what would you like to accomplish through the program?
I hope to meet my mentors in person in the following months and continue to communicate after I graduate.
Mallory Daily is a senior studying writing-intensive English and philosophy. She is from Iowa City, Iowa.
Five Questions With...appears in the monthly mentor newsletter and the online mentor toolbox.
- Five Ways to Make the Most Out of Having a Mentor
- Getting the most out of your mentor relationship
- Habits of effective proteges
- Mentors help young professionals get ahead - The Wall Street Journal
- Why young professionals need mentors for success
- Huffington Post
- How a mentor can help your career - Forbes
- 13 tips for nailing a Skype interview - USA Today