Responsibilities of student mentees
- Meet with your mentor face-to-face a minimum of three times during the program (September-April, includes the kick off and closing program in April). Depending on scheduling and distance between the mentor and mentee, Skype can certainly be an option. We do encourage face-to-face dialogue a couple of times, however, if possible.
- Schedule a time to meet with your mentor no more than one week from the kickoff to discuss goals, which are to be submitted by Oct. 11.
- Monthly conversations (face-to-face dialogue is included here) regarding various topics such as interviewing, career interests, resume review and networking, among others.
- Schedule monthly meetings with your mentor. It is the mentee’s responsibility to be proactive with prompting communication with their mentor.
- Periodic communication with staff regarding the progress with their mentor. This includes how staff can serve you.
- Attend the closing program April 24.
Tips for Jump-starting Your Relationship
The program is officially underway, you're looking to dig deep with your mentor. Now what?
Characteristics of Effective Mentees
Share ideas openly and honestly
- Respect mentors’ time
- Don’t ask for special favors
- “Reverse mentoring” look for a way to give back
- Listen carefully and be open-minded
- Drive the process/logistics
- Five Ways to Make the Most Out of Having a Mentor
- Getting the most out of your mentor relationship
- Habits of effective proteges
- Mentors help young professionals get ahead - The Wall Street Journal
- Why young professionals need mentors for success
- Huffington Post
- How a mentor can help your career - Forbes
- 13 tips for nailing a Skype interview - USA Today