Jeanne M. Hossenlopp, Ph.D.
Professor, Physical Chemistry
Visit the Hossenlopp research group's homepage.
Professor Hossenlopp received a B.A. degree in Chemistry from Colgate University in 1981, a M.A. degree in Education from Siena Heights College in 1982 and a Ph.D. degree in Physical Chemistry, working with Prof. Joseph Chaiken, from Syracuse University in 1987. From 1987-1989 she was a postdoctoral research associate in Prof. George Flynn’s group at Columbia University. She joined the faculty at Marquette University in August 1989. Professor Hossenlopp received a Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation New Faculty Award in 1989 and the Marquette University John P. Raynor Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence in 2003. After four years as Chair of the Department of Chemistry, she served as Interim Dean of Marquette’s Klingler College of Arts and Sciences from 2008-2010. In 2010, Hossenlopp assumed the role of Vice Provost for Research and Dean of the Graduate School at Marquette
Our current research involves both fundamental and applied studies in materials science. Current projects include: (a) characterization of structure/reactivity relationships of nanodimensional layered metal hydroxide and other related nanomaterials, with an emphasis on modeling reaction kinetics (b) adaptation of nanomaterials for use as polymer fire retardant materials, (c) design of nanomaterials and other “green” materials for water quality applications, and (d) chemical sensor development. Work on fire retardancy is performed in collaboration with Prof. Charles Wilkie’s group in the Marquette Department of Chemistry. Other recent collaborations include work with an interdisciplinary microsensor research team including the groups of Profs. Fabien Josse and Susan Schneider in the Marquette University Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, as well as work with the group of Prof. Chieu Tran in the Department of Chemistry.
Hydroxy Double Salts (HDSs) are one class of nanodimensional layered metal hydroxides that are studied in our laboratory.
Current Research Projects and Group Members:
For more information on our research program, see the Hossenlopp group page.
- S. Majoni, S. Su, J.M. Hossenlopp, “The Effect of Boron-Containing Layered Metal Hydroxy Salt (LHS) on the Thermal Stability and Degradation Mechanisms of Poly(Methyl Methacrylate),” Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 95, 1593-1604 (2010).
- S. Duri, S. Majoni, J.M. Hossenlopp, C.D. Tran, “Determination of Chemical Homogeneity of Fire Retardant Polymeric Nanocomposite Materials by Near-Infrared Multispectral Imaging Microscopy,” Anal. Lett., 43, 1780-1789 (2010).
- C. Manzi-Nshuti, P. Songtipya, E. Manias, M.M. Jimenez-Gasco, J.M. Hossenlopp, C.A. Wilkie, “Polymer nanocomposites using zinc aluminum and magnesium aluminum oleate layered double hydroxides: Effects of the polymeric compatibilizer and of composition on the thermal and fire properties of PP/LDH nanocomposites.,” Polym. Degrad. Stab. 94, 2042-2054 (2009),
- C. Manzi-Nshuti, P. Songtipya, E. Manias, M.M. Jimenez-Gasco, J.M. Hossenlopp, C.A. Wilkie, “Polymer nanocomposites using zinc aluminum and magnesium aluminum oleate layered double hydroxides: Effects of LDH divalent metals on dispersion, thermal, mechanical and fire performance in various polymers,” Polymer 50, 3564-3574 (2009).
- C. Manzi-Nshuti, J.M. Hossenlopp, C.A. Wilkie, “Comparative study on the flammability of polyethylene modified with commercial fire retardants and a zinc aluminum oleate layered double hydroxide,” Polym. Degrad. Stab. 94, 782-788 (2009).
- C. Manzi-Nshuti, D. Wang, J.M. Hossenlopp, C.A. Wilkie, “The role of the trivalent metal in an LDH: Synthesis, characterization and fire properties of thermally stable PMMA/LDH systems,” Polym. Degrad. Stab. 94, 705-711 (2009).
- C. Manzi-Nshuti, L. Zhang, C. Myambo, L. Wang, C.A. Wilkie, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Use of Layered Metal Hydroxides as Polymer Fire Retardant Additives: Advantages and Challenges,” ACS Symposium Series 1013, Fire and Polymers V. C.A. Wilkie and G.L. Nelson, eds.,Washington, DC: American Chemical Society, 2009, pp. 209-218.
- C. Manzi-Nshuti; J.M. Hossenlopp, C.A. Wilkie, “Fire Retardancy of Melamine and Zinc Aluminum Layered Double Hydroxide in Poly (methyl methacrylate),” Polym. Degrad. Stab., 93, 1855-1863 (2008).
- C. Manzi-Nshuti, D.Wang, J.M. Hossenlopp, C.A. Wilkie, “Aluminum Containing Layered Double Hydroxides: the Thermal, Mechanical, and Fire Properties of (Nano)Composites with Poly(methyl methacrylate),” J. Mater. Chem., 18, 3091-3102 (2008).
- E. Kandare, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Effects of Hydroxy Double Salts and Related Nanodimensional Layered Metal Hydroxides on Polymer Thermal Stability,” ACS Symposium Series 1004, Polymer Degradation, Optimization and Performance, Chapter 18, eds.,Washington, DC: American Chemical Society, 2009, pp. 209-218.
- G. Chigwada, E. Kandare, D. Wang, S. Majoni, D. Mlambo, C.A. Wilkie, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Thermal Stability and Degradation Kinetics of Polystyrene/Organically-Modified Montmorillonite Nanocomposites,” J. Nanosci. Nanotech., 8, 1927–1936 (2008).
- E. Kandare, G. Chigwada, D. Wang, C.A. Wilkie, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Nanostructured Layered Copper Hydroxy Dodecyl Sulfate: A Potential Fire Retardant Additive for Poly(vinyl ester) (PVE),” Polym. Degrad. Stab., 91, 1781-1790 (2006).
- E. Kandare, H. Deng, D. Wang, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Thermal Stability and Degradation Kinetics of Poly (methyl methacrylate)/Layered Copper Hydroxy Methacrylate Composites,” Polym. Adv. Technol., 17, 312-319 (2006).
- E. Kandare, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Thermal Degradation of Acetate-Intercalated Hydroxy Double and Layered Hydroxy Salts,” Inorg. Chem., 35, 3766-3773 (2006).
- E. Kandare, G. Chigwada, D. Wang, C.A. Wilkie, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Probing Synergism, Antagonism, and Additive Effects in Poly(vinyl ester) (PVE) Composites with Fire Retardants,” Polym. Degrad. Stab., 91, 1209-1218 (2006).
- J.M. Hossenlopp, “Applications of Acoustic Wave Devices for Sensing in Liquid Environments,” Appl. Spectrosc. Rev., 41, 151-164 (2006).
- E. Kandare, D. Hall, D.D. Jiang, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Development of New Fire Retardant Additives Based on Inorganic/Organic Nanodimensional Layered Compounds,” ACS Symposium Series 922, Fire and Polymers IV: Materials and Concepts for Hazard Prevention, C.A. Wilkie and G.L. Nelson, eds.,Washington, DC: American Chemical Society, 2006, pp. 131-143.
- Y.K. Jones, Z. Li, M. Johnson, F. Josse, J.M. Hossenlopp, “ATR-FTIR Spectroscopic Analysis of Sorption of Aqueous Analytes Into Polymer Coatings Used With Guided SH-SAW Sensors,” IEEE Sensors Journal, 5, 1175-1184 (2005).
- Z. Li, Y. Jones, J. Hossenlopp, R. Chernosek, F. Josse, “Analysis of Liquid-phase Chemical Detection using Guided SH-SAW Sensors,” Analytical Chemistry, 77, 4595-4603 (2005).
- E. Kandare, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Hydroxy Double Salt Anion Exchange Kinetics: Effects of Precursor Structure and Anion Size,” J. Phys. Chem. B, 109, 8469-8475. (2005).
- H. Deng, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Combined X-Ray Diffraction and Diffuse Reflectance Analysis of Nanocrystalline Mixed Sn(II) and Sn(IV) Oxide Powders,” J. Phys. Chem. B, 109, 66-73 (2005).
- J. Hossenlopp, L. Zhang, R. Cernosek, F. Josse, “Characterization of Epoxy Resin (SU-8) Film Using Thickness-Shear Mode (TSM) Resonator Under Various Conditions,” J. Polymer Sci. B, Polymer Phys., 42, 2373-2384 (2004).
- H. Deng, F.J. Lamelas, J.M. Hossenlopp, “Synthesis of Tin Oxide Nanocrystalline Phases via Use of Tin (II) Halide Precursors,” Chem. Mater., 15, 2429-2436 (2003).