Dr. Lindeman came into X-ray crystallography as a second-grade chemistry student in 1977, to begin his career. He received his M.D. from Moscow University (USSR), and in 1980 became a junior member of the most advanced X-ray structural group in the world (at that time), led by Prof. Yu. T. Struchkov. He obtained his Ph.D. degree in Physical and Polymer Chemistry from the Russian Academy of Sciences in 1988 to become a Senior Research Fellow at A. N. Nesmeyanov’s Institute of Organo-Element Compounds.
In 1994, Dr. Lindeman left his home country for a position of a Staff Crystallographer with University of Bergen, Norway. Then, in 1996, he was invited to the University of Houston, Texas by Prof. J. K. Kochi to run an advanced small-molecule X-ray facility sponsored by the Welch Foundation.
In 2004, he turned within the University of Houston to high-resolution protein studies under guidance of Prof. K. Krause.
Dr. Lindeman joined Marquette University in 2005 to run the newly established X-ray Structural Lab in the Department of Chemistry.
1) Shukla, R.; Lindeman, S.V.; Rathore, R. “A polyaromatic receptor with an ethereal fence that directs K+ for effective cation-pi interaction” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 128 (16), 5328-5329, 2006.
2) Shukla, R.; Brody, D.M.; Lindeman, S.V.; Rathore, R. “A practical synthesis of bridged diarylacetylenes” J. Org. Chem. 71 (16), 6124-6129, 2006.
1) Mori, T.; Rathore, R.; Lindeman, S.V.; Kochi, J.K. “X-Ray structure of bridged 2,2 '-bi(adamant-2-ylidene) chloronium cation and comparison of its reactivity with a singly-bonded chloroarenium cation” Chem. Commun.(8), 927-928, 1998.
2) Kochi, J.K.; Rathore, R.; Zhu, C.J.; Lindeman, S.V. “Structural characterization of novel olefinic cation radicals: X-ray crystallographic evidence of sigma-pi hyperconjugation” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 39 (20), 3671-3674, 2000.
3) Vasilyev, A.V.; Lindeman, S.V.; Kochi, J.K. “Noncovalent binding of the halogens to aromatic donors. Discrete structures of labile Br2 complexes with benzene and toluene” Chem. Commun. (10), 909-910, 2001.
4) Davlieva, M.G.; Lu, J.M.; Lindeman, S.V.; Kochi, J.K. ”Crystallographic distinction between "contact" and "separated" ion pairs: Structural effects on electronic/ESR spectra of alkali-metal nitrobenzenides” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 126 (14): 4557-4565, 2004
5) Davlieva, M.G.; Lindeman, S.V.; Neretin, I.S.; Kochi, J.K. “Isolation, X-ray structures, and electronic spectra of reactive intermediates in Friedel-Crafts acylations” J. Org. Chem. 70 (10), 4013-4021, 2005.
1) Struchkov, Yu.T.; Lindeman, S.V. “Structures of polymetalloorganosiloxanolates – a novel class of organosilicon metal complexes” J. Organomet. Chem. 488 (1-2), 9-14, 1995.
2) Rudd, M.D.; Lindeman, S.V., Husebye S. ”Three-centre, four-electron bonding and structural characteristics of two-coordinate iodine(I) complexes with halogen and chalcogen ligands” Acta Chem. Scand. 51 (6-7), 689-708, 1997.
3) Rathore, R.; Lindeman, S.V.; Kumar, A.S.; Kochi, J.K. “Novel synthesis and structures of tris-annelated benzene donors for the electron-density elucidation of the classical Mills-Nixon effect” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 120 (24), 6012-6018, 1998.
4) Lindeman, S.V.; Kosynkin, D.; Kochi, J.K. “Unusually short (C-H…pi) hydrogen bonds for effective supramolecular (aromatic/aromatic) organization in edge-to-face motifs” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 120 (50), 13268-13269, 1998.
5) Hubig, S.M.; Lindeman, S.V.; Kochi, J.K. “Charge-transfer bonding in metal-arene coordination” Coord. Chem. Rev. 200, 831-873, 2000.
6) Lindeman, S.V.; Rathore, R.; Kochi, J.K. “Silver(I) complexation of (poly)aromatic ligands. Structural criteria for depth penetration into cis-stilbenoid cavities” Inorg. Chem. 39 (25), 5707-5716, 2000.
7) Lindeman, S.V.; Rosokha, S.V.; Sun, D.L.; Kochi, J.K. “X-ray structure analysis and the intervalent electron transfer in organic mixed-valence crystals with bridged aromatic cation radicals” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 124 (5), 843-855, 2002.
8) Fukin, G.K.; Lindeman, S.V.; Kochi, J.K. “Molecular structures of cation...pi(arene) interactions for alkali metals with pi- and sigma-modalities” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 124 (28), 8329-8336, 2002.
9) Lindeman, S.V.; Hecht, J.; Kochi, J.K. “The charge-transfer motif in crystal engineering. Self-assembly of acentric (diamondoid) networks from halide salts and carbon tetrabromide as electron-donor/acceptor synthons” J. Am. Chem. Soc.125 (38), 11597-11606, 2003.
10) Rosokha, Y.S.; Lindeman, S.V.; Rosokha, S.V.; Kochi, J.K. “Halide recognition through diagnostic "anion-pi" interactions: Molecular complexes of Cl-, Br-, and I- with olefinic and aromatic pi receptors” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 43 (35), 4650-4652, 2004.
1) Lindeman, S.V.; Antipin, M.Yu.; Struchkov, Yu.T. “Molecular and crystal structure of the N-salicylidene-2-hydroxyaniline quinoid tautomer” Kristallografiya 33 (2), 365-369,1988.
2) Nikishin, G.I.; Koritzky, A.T.; Lindeman, S.V.; Gerr, R.G.; Struchkov, Yu.T.; Starostin, E.K. “Formation and stabilization of free-radicals in mixed-crystal structures of dicarboxylic and peroxydicarboxylic acids” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 111 (26), 9214-9217, 1989.
3) Bosch, E.; Hubig, S.M.; Lindeman, S.V.; Kochi, J.K. “Photoinduced coupling of acetylenes and quinone in the solid state as preorganized donor-acceptor pairs” J. Org. Chem. 63 (3), 592-601,1998.
4) Kim, J.H.; Lindeman, S.V.; Kochi, J.K. “Charge-transfer forces in the self-assembly of heteromolecular reactive solids: Successful design of unique (single-crystal-to-single-crystal) Diels-Alder cycloadditions”J. Am. Chem. Soc. 123 (21), 4951-4959 2001.