The Chapel of the Holy Family is one chapel made up of several components. There is a large liturgical space, a gathering space or narthex, a small prayer room where the Blessed Sacrament is reserved and a reconciliation room.
The altar was dedicated and the chapel was blessed by Bishop Leo J. Brust, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, on October 6, 1990. The formal blessing does not preclude use by other faiths. In fact, the liturgical space was deliberately constructed so that it can be used by all campus religious groups for worship and prayer. In the flexible liturgical space one can seat between 130–175 people comfortably, depending on the configuration. One also finds a statue of the Holy Family, crafted in Italy and installed in 1995.
The Narthex, or gathering area, also serves as a lounge. In general, nothing is scheduled or conducted there which interferes with the use of the liturgical space or with the peace and accessibility of the prayer room. In the Narthex one finds a stained glass depiction of the Holy Family. Created by the studio of Francis Xavier Zettler of Munich, this window was oringinally installed in the University Chapel in Johnston Hall, which opened in 1906. Its subject matter does not correspond directly to a Biblical text but shows the child Jesus holding a book of the prophets and educating his parents.
The Eucharistic Chapel contains two other stained glass windows from the University Chapel depicting the parable of the rich young man (Matt 19:16-30; Mark 10:17-31; Luke 18:18-30), and the finding of Jesus in the Temple (Luke 2:41-52). All the windows were installed in 1993. This room is used exclusively for private prayer, meditation, and devotion.