A Timeline of Journalism at Marquette

1910
Marquette University Journalism Program was founded by Father Copus, a Jesuit priest and former journalist who had worked during the age of yellow journalism. The first courses in journalism were offered in the University's College of Economics.

 

1912
The Marquette Journal was launched as the principal student publication on campus and an an annual student, staff, and alumni information magazine.


1915
The College of Journalism became an independent entity of the University.

Father John Danihy was named Director of College of Journalism. Danihy established the Marquette Press, the Marquette Tribune student newspaper and the Hilltop yearbook over his tenure as Dean.

 

1916
The Marquette Tribune, the official campus newspaper, was first printed. The first edition sold $300 worth of advertising; the students had put up their own money the previous summer to purchase the printing equipment and a Stonmetz cylinder press.

 

The Journalism College published the first yearbook, called the Hilltop.

 

1917
Course of studies in the College of Journalism was expanded to a four-year program and included cultural as well as journalistic branches of learning.

 

Entrance into World War I introduced radio to the campus as courses are offered to drafted men to teach morse code and wireless telegraphy.

 

1920
The Marquette Journal became a literary magazine.

 

1922
Early beginnings of WHAD radio (later named to MU Radio) as Father John Kremer of the Physics department secured a government license for a radio station with a 200 mile radius. An 80 foot tower with an antenna was built on the roof of Johnston Hall.

Marquette sent out its first educational broadcast in the summer of that year.

 

1924
WHAD radio moved into the new science building on campus.

 

1925
Power of the campus radio station increased to 500 watts and shared a wavelength with Wisconsin News.

 

1928
Newspaper veteran and Marquette alumnus Jerimiah O’Sullivan returned to MU to become Dean of the College of Journalism. Under O'Sullivan's direction, the College of Journalism established itself as one of the leading programs among nationally accredited programs and became a founding member of the Association for Education in Journalism.

 

1929
The Badger Sodalist printed its first issue in March 1929. The paper, or “spiritual action bulletin,” was established in an effort to represent the Catholic youth of Wisconsin. It was the longest running alternative student publication at Marquette.

 

The Great Depression began.

 

1930
Marquette became one of only 32 “Class A” Journalism institutions in the country recognized by the American Association of Schools and Departments of Journalism.

 

1931
Dean O’Sullivan founded the Catholic Press Association for the purpose of “encouraging and assisting those engaged in Catholic publication work.”

 

1932

WHAD became affiliated with the Columbia Broadcasting System.

 

1933
Dean O’Sullivan elected President of the International Union of Catholic Journalists.

 

1937
The first Catholic Press Conference was held at Marquette University and was sponsored by the College of Journalism.

 

1939
Marquette entered the television age, as members of university chorus were broadcast singing Christmas carols from a downtown Milwaukee department store.

 

Dean O’Sullivan was elected Vice President of the American Association of Schools and Departments of Journalism.

 

1941
Dean O’Sullivan was elected President of the American Association of Schools and Departments of Journalism.

The Badger Sodalist ended publication.

 

United States entered WWII.

 

1949
Marquette student body developed its second alternative campus publication, The Marquette Federator. The paper was published as a forum for current student events. The Federators Council sponsored the new paper in the interest of NFCCS (National Federation of Catholic College Students) club activity.

 

1950
College of Journalism was transferred to Copus Hall, at Michigan and 13th Streets.

 

The Marquette Federator ended publication.

 

1960
Marquette University Magazine was created as a quarterly publication of reports on the work of the university – teaching, research, the publication of scholarly materials and the sponsorship of public and semi public institutes.

 

1962
Dean O'Sullivan retired after leading the School of Journalism for 34 years. Donald M. McDonald was appointed his successor.

 

1965
Clifford L. Helbert was appointed Dean of the School of Journalism.

 

The United States entered the Vietnam War.

 

1971
Warren G. Bovee was appointed Acting Dean of the School of Journalism after Clifford Helbert stepped down.

 

1972
George Reedy became the Dean of the School of Journalism.

 

1975
Both the College of Speech and the College of Journalism were relocated to the newly remodeled and renovated Johnston Hall.

 

1976
Marquette University Television (MUTV) began at Marquette University.

 

1977
Warren G. Bovee was named Acting Dean of the College of Journalism.

 

1978
James Scotton became Dean of the College of Journalism.

 

1982
The Marquette Free Press launched in 1982 as a conservative campus media outlet.

 

1985
Division of Communication and Performing Arts was created to establish a common year of studies for all entering freshmen in the two colleges of Journalism and Speech.

The Marquette Free Press ended production.

 

1986
The Urban Journalism Workshop, an intense two-week program focused on multimedia news gathering, first launched at Marquette. The workshop is funded by the Dow Jones Newspaper Fund, Journal Communications and the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.

 

1988
The Division of Communication and Performing Arts and the two colleges were merged into the College of Communication, Journalism and Performing Arts with six departments.

 

Sharon Murphy was appointed Dean of the College.

 

1994
The name of the College of Communication, Journalism and Performing Arts was shortened to the College of Communication.

 

Michael Price was appointed Interim Dean of the College of Communication.

 

1996
William Elliott was appointed Dean of the College of Communication.

 

1999
The New Media Center was created in Johnston Hall, with computers, desktop publishing equipment and software available.

 

2005
Alum Bill Diederich and his wife Mary donated $28 million, at the time the largest financial gift in the university’s history. Part of this gift was used to bring digital broadcasting technology into the Johnston Hall studios. The College name was changed to the J. William and Mary Diederich College of Communication in honor of their gift to the College.

 

Ana Garner was appointed Interim Dean of the Diederich College of Communication.

 

2006
John Pauly was appointed Dean of the College.

 

2008

Lynn Turner appointed Interim Dean after Pauly was appointed to University Provost.

 

MUTV acquired access to one of the University's QuickTime Streaming Servers and thus converted their Video on Demand Service to Quicktime. An on-going initiative to have all MUTV shows available in Video-on-Demand is continued by the Programming/Distribution Department. That same year, MUTV also purchased a Mac Pro to handle the duties of putting content online on the MUTV Website and YouTube.

 

2009
Lori Bergen became Dean of the Diederich College of Communication.

 

2010

The Diederich College of Communication began its year long Centennial of Journalism celebration. The year started with a kick-off event at the Milwaukee Public Museum's Streets of Old Milwaukee, which celebrated the past, present and future of the profession.

 

In June 2010, The Urban Journalism Workshop celebrated its 25th anniversary at Marquette University.

 

In September 2010, the college created its first student-produced 'Centennial Seminars' program series. The televion program was filmed in Studio 7 (Johnston Hall), and featured a panel discussion with national media and journalism industry professionals.

 

Neighborhood news service program began at Marquette. The service is a multimedia website that provides objective, professional reporting and offers comprehensive coverage of issues such as education, public safety, economic development, health and wellness, recreation, employment, youth development and housing that are important to the people who live and work in five Milwaukee communities.

 

The College launched its '100 Words' project, gathering quotes and reflections from Marquette journalism alumni about the profession.

 

2011

In February 2011, the college hosted its second production of the 'Centennial Seminars' program series.

 

In March, the Neighborhood News Service website officially launched as a public site.