Marquette students on campus

Policies & Procedures

Policies and Procedures


ODS has developed policies and procedures to ensure that all students who identify disabilities obtain equal access to university life. These are contained in the links below. You will also find a number of frequently asked questions about disability issues at Marquette, learn about your rights and responsibilities, documentation guidelines and other important information.

Disability Certification Forms

To assist treating professionals in documenting students' disabilities the following forms are provided:

These downloadable forms can be completed by your physician, psychologist, psychiatrist or other appropriate treating professional to provide appropriate documentation of your disability. Make sure you have a release on file with your treating professional(s) so that they can fill out the form.

The forms can be returned to Disability Services via fax at (414) 288-5799, or mailed to Heidi Vering, Associate Director of Disability Services, P.O. Box 1881, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881.

Alternate Text Format Policy

Similarly, if you have been approved to use texts in alternate formats as an accommodation, you will need to abide by the relevant policy. Your responsibilities as a user of texts on CD are described in the Alternative Texts Policy. You would also need to complete the Alternative Texts Request Form. The contract will serve as an agreement indicating that you have read the policy and recognize the responsibilities it entails as a recipient of texts in alternate format.

When you have registered for your classes, you can check your student account for book lists. Bring your book list and contract to the Office of Disability Services as soon as possible. We will use this list to locate texts for you from various lending sites, such as Learning Ally. An ODS representative will review this process with you when you meet to discuss your accommodations.

Early Registration Policy

Early registration or priority registration is a rare accommodation granted to students with documented mobility, medical, or other issues that significantly limit their flexibility in course scheduling. The process for requesting early registration for an accommodation is described in the Early Registration policy.

Housing Policy

If you have questions concerning housing accommodations, please contact the Office of Disability Services at 414-288-1645 or the Office of Residence Life 414-288-7208.

Notetaking Policy

If you have been approved for back-up notetakers as part of your accommodations, you will need to review the Notetaking Policy. This policy defines your role as a notetaking recipient as well as the role of the notetaker who will provide copies of notes for you.

Students approved for this service need to complete the Notetaker Request Form. On this form, you will be asked to list your classes, sections, days and times your classes meet. Completing and signing the request form also establishes that you agree to abide by the Notetaking Policy. An ODS representative will review the form with you when you meet to discuss your accommodations. Notetakers will then be hired from the classes you requested to provide you with notes. The recipients remain anonymous.

Parking as an Accommodation

On-campus parking for students with disabilities is provided in Marquette’s parking facilities. However, students will need to procure state-issued permits/plates and a Marquette University Parking Permit. To find more information please review the Accessible Parking Policy.

Records Retention Policy

Records, documentation and contact logs classified as “inactive” will be transferred to an offsite archive. Inactive student records will only be kept for seven years. Requests for accommodations after records have been moved will be subject to a delay. To avoid delays in requests for accommodation please review the Record Retention Policy.

Service Animal Policy

Students with disabilities granted the use of a service animal as an accommodation must review guidelines and fill out a registration form which can be found under the Service Animal Policy.

Test Proctoring Process and Form

Students should make arrangements for exam accommodations directly with their instructors as instructors are best able to respond to student questions during the exam on test content. In rare cases, if the instructor is unable to make these arrangements, the Office of Disability Services may assist with exam accommodations. If this is the case, the instructor should contact the ODS Testing Coordinator as soon as possible, but at least 72 hours before the exam, so that test proctoring arrangements can be made in a timely manner. A test proctoring form will be provided to instructors requesting test proctoring and must be completed by instructors and attached to each exam to be proctored by ODS. Test Proctoring Request Form.

Studying Abroad

Students interested in studying abroad are encouraged to contact the Office of International Education (OIE). OIE can provide information about the availability of accommodations and accessible facilities at various study abroad programs. Laws regarding disability and public facility access vary by country. It is important students recognize that OIE cannot guarantee all study abroad programs will be accessible. However, OIE can assist students in exploring other possible study abroad programs that will meet their needs. Any student who anticipates needing accommodations should provide appropriate documentation to the Office of Disability Services (ODS). Documentation guidelines are located on the ODS Forms website. Once students have provided sufficient documentation, ODS will advise OIE on guidelines for reasonable accommodations and then OIE will work with students to ensure the study abroad site students choose is capable of meeting their needs and/or to identify an alternate location.

Temporary Impairment

Marquette University is committed to supporting the academic success of all students, but recognizes that certain life events may inhibit this process. Students who suffer from temporary impairments such as broken bones, temporary illnesses, and recovering from surgery or medical conditions are typically not substantial enough to be considered a disability. The Americans with Disability Act (ADA) does not typically recognize temporary disabilities as a disability for which accommodation is legally mandated, however, the Office of Disability Services may be able to provide some assistance and referrals in these situations, but cannot guarantee that services will be provided. For example, students whose temporary injuries impact their ability to write might be provided Carbon Copy Notebooks from the Office of Student Educational Services and be directed to ask either their faculty member to identify a potential note taker or another student in the class to use the Carbon Copy Notebook to take duplicate notes.

To explore temporary support for the duration of your injury, please contact the Office of Student Educational Services (AMU 407, 414-288-4252) for other support options and/or contact Public Safety (Parking Structure 1, 414-288-7320) if your injury compromises your mobility.


Contact the Office of Disability Services