Engineering student

Frequently asked questions


How does the university communicate with students?

Student Marquette e-mail accounts are the preferred official communication. Students can set up eMarq accounts on to their smartphones or tablets.

Is a student required to bring a computer?

Yes, engineering freshmen and transfer students are required to bring a laptop. Learn about system specifications, possible sales/lease options and requisite software information.

All engineering students have 24-hour access seven days a week to the engineering computer laboratories, including backup computers and printers. In addition, all Marquette students have access seven days a week to library computers during regularly scheduled hours.

If a student wants to reach a faculty member, what is the best way?

Students are strongly encouraged to contact faculty EARLY and OFTEN. Some faculty will request a specific means of communication, but the following options are always available: e-mail, office hours, D2L, phone or by appointment.

Can parents request student’s personal and educational information?

Marquette is bound by the rules and regulations established within the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and therefore can't release any information educational information without a signed FERPA waiver form. Please go to the Academic Advising Center, to submit a form. More information on FERPA.


Who advises students?

The College of Engineering is transitioning to a two-pronged advising model. Based on the student’s declared major, each student is assigned a Faculty Mentor. Students can identify their Faculty Mentor on Checkmarq. Additionally, the College of Engineering staffs an Academic Advising Center (AAC).

The Center strives to complement the role of the Faculty Mentor by providing a centralized location for students to get their questions answered. Faculty Mentors are there to help with such topics as careers, technical electives, graduate programs and research opportunities.

How often do students meet with Advisors and Faculty Mentors?

Students are required to meet with an Advisor each semester prior to registration for the following semester. In most cases, course planning and approval is done through the Academic Advising Center (AAC). Students are also required to meet with their Faculty Mentor at least once a semester.


How do I know when to register?

Students are assigned enrollment appointments each semester. This date and time can be found on CheckMarq under enrollment appointment. This time is their first possible date to register. Registration continues through the first week of classes.

How many credits can I register for?

Full-time engineering students can register for 12-19 credits. Students requesting an overload (≥ 20 credits) must submit an overload request form to the college office, Olin, Room 201, for approval from the associate dean for academic affairs. There is an additional fee for each credit over 19. The full-time load is 12-19 credits. Dropping below 12 credits may affect financial aid, health insurance and academic progress.

What if I no longer want to take a course for which I have registered? (course drop vs. course withdraws)

If a student no longer wishes to remain in a course, he/she is eligible to DROP the course prior to the end of late registration (typically the end of the first week of classes). Course drops can be completed in CheckMarq.

If a student no longer wishes to remain in a course after the end of the late registration, this is a course WITHDRAWAL and will result in a W on the student’s transcript. To withdraw from a course, students must complete a withdrawal form (available in the college office, Olin, Room 201) and obtain all necessary signatures (e.g., instructor and adviser) prior to submitting the form to the college office for final approval from the associate dean for academic affairs. This form must be received by 4 p.m. on the last day to withdraw (please see the academic calendar for specific date), otherwise the student will receive the grade earned in the class.

Engineering students are limited to at most five course withdrawals during the course of their studies.

Can I repeat a class to improve my GPA?

Engineering students may repeat a course to improve their GPA and/or meet minimum grade prerequisites. Students should complete a substitute/repeat form, available in the college office, Olin, Room 201. The College of Engineering limits the use of the substitute/repeat option to at most five instances. Students are limited to two repeats for any single course.

Does the college offer summer courses?

Engineering students may take at most four courses (two each session) during the summer at Marquette. Students should discuss summer course plans with their academic advisers. Students wishing to take summer courses outside Marquette must complete a course approval form, available in the college office, Olin, room 201. Course approval should be received prior to registration. Students are responsible for having official transcripts sent immediately upon completion to: Marquette University, Office of the Registrar, P.O. Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201


What is the core curriculum?

The University Core of Common Studies is the intellectual heart of a Marquette education, built on our Jesuit tradition and designed for successful life in the 21st century. The core comprises nine knowledge areas essential to a well-educated person, a Marquette graduate. Students are required to complete 36 credits within nine knowledge areas: rhetoric; mathematical reasoning; theology; human nature and ethics; science and nature; individual and social behavior; literature and performing arts; diverse cultures; and histories of cultures and societies. Only courses specifically approved for core can meet core requirements.

When must a student declare his or her engineering major?

Many engineering foundation courses are common to all of the engineering majors. As such, it is relatively easy to change engineering majors during the first year of study. To maximize degree progress, students need to know their major by the end of their second semester.

Are there double majors and/or minors available?

Information on double majors and minors is listed in the Undergraduate Bulletin under the college hosting the double major or minor. Students can contact their adviser for more information.

Common minors include: biological sciences, chemistry, physics, mathematics and business administration. Though engineering students do not have any foreign language requirements, several engineering students pursue a minor in a foreign language.

Do students have to maintain certain grades or GPA to remain in the program?

All students must meet grade and cumulative and college GPA requirements for academic progress.

Students who do not meet academic progress policies may be required to withdraw from the engineering program for academic reasons.

What about advanced degrees?

Each engineering department offers a five-year bachelor of science/master of science program. Students may apply to this program as a junior and begin their research and graduate studies after their junior year. These programs and their eligibility requirements are documented in the Graduate Bulletin.

Study abroad

What are study abroad options?

Engineering students can study abroad in various university programs. Destinations include Australia, Ireland, England, Spain, Japan, China and South Africa. Most engineering students who elect to study abroad do so the spring or summer term of their sophomore year. Students interested in studying abroad should confer with the associate dean for academic affairs about options and the potential impact on future courses and prerequisites. These students often defer their core electives (e.g., individual and social behavior, literature and performing arts, diverse cultures, and/or histories of cultures and societies) until their term abroad.

Are there options to study in Washington D.C.?

Engineering students can also spend a semester at the Les Aspin Center in Washington D.C. These internships typically include independent research at the Food and Drug Administration and political science and theology course work.

Co-operative Education Program

What is the Co-op Program?

Find out more.

Student life and resources

How do students get involved in extracurricular activities?

There are about 250 student organizations and activities on campus, including student government, organizations, Greek life, club sports and many more. There are also many engineering student organizations.

What resources are available for current students at Marquette?

Marquette student resources

Also, writing assistance is available at the Ott Memorial Writing Center.


Contact us

College of Engineering
1515 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53233

Dean's office: (414) 288-6591
Prospective students: (414) 288-7302
Academic Advising Center: (414) 288-6000
Contact form