Apply Undergraduate Research
Changes from prior years:
- Awards will be made in the amount of $5,000 for the undergraduate student stipend.
- Student participants must be named in the application; applications that list “TBN” students will not be reviewed.
- Student participants, as a condition of the award, must: (1) attend a “kick-off” meeting in May 2018, (2) attend a session on poster preparation in August 2018, and (3) present a poster on their research findings at the second annual OCOE Undergraduate Research Day on Friday, October 26, 2018.
- Student participants may be asked to allow potential future students to shadow them during the summer of 2018, for up to two hours per visit. No student will be asked to have more than three students shadow.
How do I get started?
- Determine a potential research area of interest
- Identify a faculty member in the Opus College of Engineering who has related research interests
- Meet with the faculty member and come to agreement on project
- Work with the faculty member to prepare and submit your grant application following the guidelines below.
Undergraduate Research Program Proposal Guidelines
Proposals must address each of the categories listed below. Be sure to clearly label each category within your proposal. The entire proposal should not exceed two pages (please use Times New Roman 11 point font and 1” margins on all sides).
- Participants and project title:
Construct a clear and concise title and list the faculty participants and the student. It is necessary to identify the student participant at the time of submittal.
- Student Statement:
Statement by student indicating why they are interested in this research project and how a summer research experience fits into their career goals.
- Short overview of the project including proposed activities:
Brief summary of the faculty research project in which the student will be participating. The student’s role in the larger faculty research project. Include a brief description of how the project will benefit from the work of the undergraduate research assistant. Include how the student will benefit from the experience.
- Specific research objectives and proposed outcomes
Provide the research objective related directly to the student’s work
List the activities that the student will conduct to meet the research objectives.
Describe how the results of the study will be disseminated.
- List location of proposed research project, lab room numbers, etc.
- Time frame for project (start and end dates)
- Describe outcomes from previous award, if any.
- Participants must be an undergraduate in good standing during the proposed work period.
- Proposals must include a faculty mentor/co-collaborator. Proposals that do not include both a student and faculty mentor will not be considered.
- Proposed funded activities can run anytime during calendar year 2018.
Faculty recipients from funded proposals are expected to generate a short summary of research actives and an assessment of the impact this had on their research output at the end of the grant period..
Proposals should be submitted electronically to Ms. Karen Jamiola, OCOE Proposal Developer and Grant Specialist, at email@example.com no later than 5PM central time on January 19, 2018. Proposal reviews will begin immediately thereafter.