My scholarly research explores the complex connections between literary works produced in Britain during the so-called long eighteenth century, from the Restoration to the Romantics, and their historical contexts.
In recent years, I have become interested in textual scholarship, editing the new Norton Critical Editions of Gulliver's Travels and Moll Flanders as well as Samuel Richardson's Pamela novels for The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Samuel Richardson.
- Restoration and Eighteenth-Century British Literature
- Women's Studies
- 4331/102 TuTh 9:30-10:45 Cudahy 120
- 4452/101 TuTh 2:00-3:15 Cudahy 131
- British Literature of the Romantic Period, 1790-1837
- Restoration and Eighteenth Century British Literature
- Textual Criticism
- Samuel Richardson, Pamela in Her Exalted Condition. Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Samuel Richardson, Pamela: or, Virtue Rewarded. Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Daniel Defoe, Moll Flanders. Norton Critical Edition, 2004.
- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels. Norton Critical Edition, 2002.
- Critical Essays on Henry Fielding. G. K. Hall, 1998.
- Augustan Subjects: Essays in Honor of Martin C. Battestin. University of Delaware Press, 1997.
- New Essays on Samuel Richardson. St. Martin's Press/Macmillan, UK, 1996.
- The Plays of Henry Fielding: A Critical Study of His Dramatic Career. University Press of Virginia, 1989.
- NEH Senior Fellowship for University Teachers
- American Philosophical Society
- Clark Library Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Exxon Education Foundation Fellowship (Newberry Library)
- ACLS Fellowship for Recent Recipients of the Ph.D.