Clinical Laboratory Science Major
THE MARQUETTE clinical laboratory science major
CLINICAL PLACEMENTS BEFORE YOU GRADUATE. In your senior year of the clinical laboratory science major, you'll be guaranteed a six-month clinical placement in one of the respected hospitals or large clinics located just minutes from campus — a great "been there, done that" advantage for when you take your certification exam.
Marquette's Clinical Laboratory science majors have:
- A 100-percent placement rate after graduation
- A 99-percent pass rate on the certification exam
- Won the 2011 American Society for Clinical Pathology National Student Honor Award
- Frequently won awards at the Wisconsin Annual Meeting of the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science
PRE-MED? THINK ABOUT IT. If you are considering a career in medicine, the major in clinical laboratory science can help you become a more complete doctor. With your preparation for professional lab work, you'll be a doctor who knows how to order the right tests and interpret the results.
LEARN FROM THE PROS. All your major courses will be taught by professors and instructors who are certified clinical laboratory scientists, not teaching assistants.
YOU'LL BE IN DEMAND. The demand for certified clinical laboratory scientists exceeds supply theres a critical national shortage of these experts. Employment opportunities and pay for new graduates are high.
PASS WITH FLYING COLORS. Marquette's clinical laboratory science majors have no trouble making the grade. Ninety-nine percent of our graduates pass the certification exam on their first try the national average is only 80 percent.
You might like the clinical laboratory science major if you:
• like the sciences, especially chemistry
• want to help people through diagnostic work
What can you do with a major in clinical laboratory science?
Most of our students have secured jobs even before they graduate, and 100 percent are employed in the field immediately after graduation. Many take positions in clinical, hospital and research laboratories. This major is also excellent preparation for medical and graduate schools. Learn more about what you can do with a major in clinical laboratory science.
Visit the department that offers the major in clinical laboratory science.
Please expand to view suggested curriculum
Suggested curriculum for a clinical laboratory science major
Your major courses blue.
- Guided Study in Clinical Laboratory Science
- Rhetoric and Composition I & II
- General Biology I & II
- Individual and Social Behavior Elective
- Modern Elementary Statistics
- General Chemistry I & II
- Two Electives
- Concepts in Clinical Laboratory Medicine
- Diverse Cultures Elective
- Histories of Cultures and Societies Elective
- Introduction to Theology
- Literature/Performing Arts Elective
- Philosophy of Human Nature
- Theology Elective
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Organic Chemistry I
- Medical Bacteriology
- Medical Microbiology
- Laboratory Instrumentation
- Clinical Hematology I
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Theory of Ethics
- Medical Ethics
Senior(Senior year is a clinical phase consisting of 38 weeks, usually beginning in July)
- Analytical and Clinical Chemistry
- Clinical Education Methods Practicum
- Clinical Management Concepts Practicum
- Clinical Chemistry Practicum
- Clinical Hematology II Practicum
- Clinical Hemostasis Practicum
- Clinical Immunohematology Practicum
- Clinical Immunology & Serology Practicum
- Clinical Microbiology Practicum
- Clinical Urinology Practicum