International Affairs Major
THE MARQUETTE International Affairs Major
ADD MUSCLE TO YOUR MAJOR. With a double major or minor in a foreign language, you can increase your marketability, whether it's for employment or graduate school.
The international affairs major was designed for students interested in:
- International affairs
- International business
AN ALL-IN-ONE MAJOR. Marquette's interdisciplinary major in international affairs combines the strengths of the university's departments in Political Science and Economics, along with coursework in history, philosophy, theology and anthropology to provide you with the knowledge and skills required to cross borders and work with diverse cultures.
BROADEN YOUR EXPERTISE. The international affairs major allows you to choose among many subfield specializations: area studies (Asian, European, Latin American or Third World); cross-cultural studies (foreign language courses in civilization and culture); international communication; international economic relations; international political–military relations or peace studies.
STAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE. Learn not only from our distinguished faculty, but also from visiting international scholars who will keep you on top of international affairs as they share their own research, experiences and insights with you in the classroom.
GET THE WORLD VIEW. Spend a semester or a summer studying in another country.
You might like the international affairs major if you:
- Like history and current events
- Have strong language skills
- Are interested in studying national interdependence
What can you do with a major in international affairs?
The international affairs major is excellent preparation for law and graduate school, and you'll graduate with a knowledge base and research, communication and multicultural skills that will make you attractive to employers in numerous fields. Learn more about what you can do with a major in international affairs.
Visit the department that offers the major in international affairs.
Please expand to view suggested curriculum
Suggested curriculum For An International Affairs Major
Your major courses blue.
- Comparative Politics
- International Politics
- Growth of Western Civilization I or II
- Latin American, African or East Asian History
- Rhetoric and Composition I & II
- Science and Nature Elective
- Introduction to Theology
- Foreign Language I & II
- Natural Science Elective
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Literature Elective
- Philosophy of Human Nature
- Foreign Language III & IV
- Literature Elective
- Math, Logic or Computer Science Elective
- International Economic Issues
- International Law
- International Organization
- Politics of the World Economy
- Diverse Cultures Elective
- Theory of Ethics
- Philosophy Elective
- Two Theology Electives
- World Conflict and Security
- Four Subfield Electives
- Senior Capstone Seminar in International Affairs
- Senior Experience