Public Relations Major
THE MARQUETTE Public Relations Major
MANAGE A BRAND's REPUTATION. As a public relations major, you'll help organizations accurately communicate their images to customers, employees, investors and the media. You'll learn how to positively influence business practices of clients and corporations.
Local internship opportunities for the public relations major include:
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
- Northwestern Mutual
- American Red Cross
- Major league sports teams
Make the right connections. Gain an early advantage by participating in Public Relations Student Society of America, where Marquette's public relations majors connect with PR pros and learn about specialization opportunities in business, agency, nonprofit, health care, sports and entertainment.
LEARN FROM THE PROS. Experienced professors together with industry professionals deliver a rigorous curriculum that is both conceptual and applied.
INTERN — IT'S REQUIRED. Required internships in and around Milwaukee give Marquette's public relations majors experiential learning opportunities that often lead to a full-time job after graduation. They also let students specialize in chosen areas and help develop professional networks.
Make a difference. Work behind the scenes to help organizations or clients build and maintain ethical leadership. Be a key driver in solving social issues. Be part of crisis mitigation and advance worthwhile causes to improve quality of life and society as a whole.
Visit the department that offers the public relations major.
You might like the public relations major if you:
- Are imaginative and creative
- Are an excellent communicator
What can you do with a major in public relations?
Marquette's public relations graduates typically work for PR agencies or PR departments of Fortune 500 companies, nonprofit organizations, government, hospitals and universities. Learn more about what you can do with a major in public relations.
Please expand to view suggested curriculum
Suggested curriculum for a public relations Major
Your major courses blue.
- Public Relations Principles
- Contemporary Presentation
- Introduction to Communication
- Media in Society
- Rhetoric and Composition I
- Histories of Cultures and Societies Elective
- Philosophy of Human Nature
- Foreign Language or Diverse Cultures
- Major/Minor Elective
- Media Writing
- Introduction to Communication Research Methods
- Introduction to Visual Communication
- Diverse Cultures Elective
- Modern Elementary Statistics
- Science and Nature Elective
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Internship in Public Relations
- Strategic Research for Advertising and Public Relations
- Marketing Communications Design and Production
- Public Relations Writing
- Communication Studies Elective
- Introduction to Theology
- Theory of Ethics
- Literature and Performing Arts Elective
- Public Relations Campaigns
- Ethical Problems of Mass Communication
- Public Relations Elective
- Media Law
- Minor/Elective Courses
- Theology Elective