Social Welfare & Justice Major
THE MARQUETTE Social Welfare & Justice Major
FLEXIBILITY. You can tailor this major to fit your needs, whether that be preparing for graduate school in areas such as social work, education or law, or for careers in social services, advocacy or public policy.
As a social welfare and justice major, you can intern in:
- Health advocacy programs
- Community centers
- Domestic abuse services and social services agencies
INTERN. Make a difference before you graduate. Our social justice and welfare major includes one- and two-semester internships at a wide variety of sites, including the Milwaukee mayor’s office, schools, health services, and programs for domestic abuse victims, immigrants and drug addiction.
CROSS TRAIN. Combine our social welfare and justice major with psychology if you'd like to go into case management or child welfare. Blend with theology if you want to work in youth ministry. Mix with economics if you'd like to administer a non-profit organization or go into social entrepreneurship. Or double major with any of the other majors in the department: anthropology, criminology or sociology.
THE REAL WORLD. Study with professors who research current legal issues surrounding immigration, divorce mediation or sexual assault cases. Develop the skills to evaluate the effectiveness of social agencies and policy. With the major in social welfare and justice and internship experience, you will graduate ready to be a change agent for social justice.
You might like the social welfare and justice major if you:
- Are interested in promoting justice and advocacy
- Have an interest in studying social problems
- Are open-minded and thoughtful
- Are a strong leader and communicator
What can you do with a major in social justice and welfare?
The social welfare and justice major is excellent preparation for victim/witness advocacy, child welfare, victim services, lobbying, or law and graduate school. Learn more about what you can do with a major in social justice and welfare.
Visit the department that offers the major in social welfare and justice.
Please expand to view suggested curriculum
Suggested curriculum for a social welfare & Justice Major
Your major courses blue.
- Introduction to Social Welfare and Justice
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment
- Rhetoric and Composition I & II
- Growth of Western Civilization I or II
- Science and Nature Elective
- Introduction to Theology
- Foreign Language I & II
- History Elective
- Natural Science Elective
- Social Welfare Policy and Programs
- Practice Skills with Individuals, Families & Groups
- Literature Elective
- Philosophy of Human Nature
- Theory of Ethics
- Foreign Language III & IV
- Literature Elective
- Math, Logic or Computer Science Elective
- Social Statistics
- Research Methods
- Social Welfare and Justice Elective
- Diverse Cultures Elective
- Two Theology Electives
- Philosophy Elective
- Social Welfare and Justice Electives