Now Offering Safe Zone Training!
For more information on the Safe Zone Program, click here
The Gender and Sexuality Resource Center educates and informs the Marquette community by addressing issues of gender and sexuality with respect, sensitivity, academic rigor and concern for social justice. The GSRC's work is three-pronged, relating to scholarship and research; educational programming; and services and support for the campus community. Below is a general description of the work we do.
Click here for a summary of 2014-2015 projects.
Scholarship and Research
- Faculty-in-Resident Program: one faculty member per semester works in residence at the GSRC to advance research and scholarship related to gender and sexuality. Past faculty residents' research topics have included: the intersection of faith and sexuality; gender-based health issues; responding to gender-based violence; and gender and self-esteem issues. Click here for the 2014-2015 Faculty-in-Resident Call for Participation.
- Course consultation: GSRC Director Dr. Susannah Bartlow provides insight on teaching about gender and sexuality issues, including guest lectures and service learning program support.
- The GSRC develops and implements programming and educational initiatives on sexual violence prevention, sexual and gender identity, and healthy sexuality, including:
- Leading first-year student training programs
- Offering residence-based education
- Hosting receptions and lunch discussions
- Providing print and online educational resources
- Promoting the Jesuit Higher Education: A Journal's special issue on gender and Jesuit higher education. Click here for information article submission.
- The GSRC also works to foster involvement among Marquette's LGBTQ alumni through discussions, seminars and social events.
Services and Support
- The GSRC maintains a visible, safe, welcoming and nurturing space open to the campus community in the center of campus (Alumni Memorial Union, 425).
- The GSRC administers the Safe Zone program, which creates visible safe spaces for LGBTQ members of the campus community
- The GSRC provides and coordinates support and advocacy efforts for victims of gender-related violence and gender/sexuality-related discrimination.
- The GSRC advances Marquette's gender and sexuality policies related to:
- Gender-based violence prevention
- Gender equity and diversity committee work at the university level
- Transgender inclusion and education efforts
- The GSRC collaborates with Academic Departments, Faculty and Staff to do course visits, event collaborations, as well as general consultations.
- The GSRC works with internal and external community partners to advance the GSRC's mission and Marquette's commitment to inclusivity.