What is the Graduate School's grading policy?

The following letter grades and their achievement equivalents are used by instructors in the Graduate School to evaluate a student’s performance in a course. Grade points corresponding to each letter grade determine a student’s academic average and eligibility to graduate. Each grade, A through F, has a specific grade point value. The grade points earned in any course equal the grade point value of the grade multiplied by the number of semester hours credited. The grade point average (GPA) is found by dividing the total grade points earned by the total number of semester hours credited in those courses for which grade points have been assigned. Determination of the cumulative GPA will be based on all courses taken during the student's graduate career, including prerequisite and repeated courses, if any. Note: Credits that are
accepted for a Marquette degree, if transferred from another university, will not be included when calculating the student’s grade point average.

All graduate students must maintain a grade point average of at least 3.000 to graduate. (For the effect of F and U grades, refer to Academic Review.) Graduate students may not be assigned a CD or a D grade in any course whatsoever, including undergraduate courses.

Grade Achievement Graduate Points
A Superior 4.000
AB   3.500
B Good 3.000
BC   2.500
C Minimally acceptable on a limited basis for graduate credit 2.000
CD Not approved for graduate students  
D Not approved for graduate students  
F Failure 0

Grade points are not affected by the following grades:

Grade Circumstance
ADW Administrative Withdrawal; student was withdrawn from the course for
administrative reasons, as determined by the university via a dean’s decision, a formal hearing and/or appeal process.
AU* Audit.
CR Credit; equivalent of C work or better.
I Incomplete; assigned on a pre-arranged basis, to allow completion of course assignments other than the final examination; the student’s performance in the course must merit this exception otherwise, the instructor will assign either a grade of F, or a passing grade that reflects both the quality of the work completed and the significance of the work which has not been completed.
IC Course Incomplete; assigned to all students enrolled in a course, clinical, independent study/research, capstone, etc. that will not be completed by the grading deadline for the term in which the course is scheduled; changed to a letter grade by the faculty at the time of completion (no initiation needed by the student).
IE Incomplete Extension; assigned by the college office to those students who are granted an extension to the deadline for removal of an I, IX or X grade.
IX Incomplete course work and final exam not taken; assigned to a student who has incomplete course work and is absent from the final examination; must meet the criteria for both the I grade and the X grade; a student not qualifying for the IX will be assigned the grade of F.
NC No Credit; equivalent of less than C work.
SNC Satisfactory completion in a course bearing no credit; mandatory grade for all zero credit bearing courses.
UNC Unsatisfactory completion in a course bearing no credit; mandatory grade for all zero credit bearing courses.
S Satisfactory completion in a credit bearing competency-based course; equivalent of C work or better.
SY A permanent grade indicating satisfactory work completed in the first term of a series of year-long courses, where grades are assigned only in the final course in the series.
U Unsatisfactory completion of a credit bearing, competency-based course; equivalent of less than C work.
UW Unexcused withdrawal; withdrawal initiated by the faculty or college office when a student registered for a course, never attended and failed to officially withdraw.
UY A permanent grade indicating unsatisfactory work completed in the first term of a series of year-long courses, where grades are assigned only in the final course in the series.
W** Official withdrawal; withdrawal initiated by the student, with approval of the college office.
WA Withdrawn-Excessive Absences; withdrawal initiated by the faculty or college office due to excessive absences in the course or student is found to be in violation of the “Undergraduate Attendance Policy” section of the Undergraduate Bulletin.
X Completed coursework and final exam not taken; assigned to a student who is absent from the final examination and who might earn a passing grade in the course were he/she to take a delayed examination; both conditions must exist, or the student is assigned the grade of F; student receiving the grade of X must file a written explanation for the absence with his/her college office.

* Carries no graduate credit. Refer to Audit, below.
**Signifies an official withdrawal with the approval of the vice provost for research and dean of the Graduate School.

Note: Grades of CD and D are not approved for graduate students, including those in undergraduate courses.

This grade is assigned by the college office offering the course, and will take precedence over the W, WA or UW grade, should the student withdraw or be withdrawn from a course after the faculty or other university personnel initiated the administrative action which ultimately results in this grade.

Students must first register for a course via CheckMarq, then request the audit option from the Graduate School. The Registration Change Request form on the Graduate School’s Web site is used for this request. The deadline to request the audit option for each session is listed on the University Academic Calendar. Classes being audited are not charged at the normal tuition rate. Refer to the Financial Information section of this bulletin for information on tuition rates.

Under no circumstances may the undergraduate CR/NC option be exercised by a graduate student taking an undergraduate course for graduate credit. Further, graduate students required to take undergraduate courses as prerequisites or to remedy deficiencies may not take those courses for S/U grades, as this option is not available.

However, a few select graduate courses are offered for S/U grades only. Courses of this type usually are limited to practica, department colloquia, or special seminar courses. Students should check the individual course descriptions in this bulletin and the grading basis when conducting a class search in CheckMarq to determine whether a course is offered on this basis.

For the effect of U grades, refer to Academic Review.

There are two types of grade adjustments: changing a temporary grade (I, IC, IE, IX or X) to a permanent grade, and correcting a permanent grade.

Temporary Grades — I, IC, IE, IX or X

Graduate students who do not complete course requirements during the term in which the class is offered may be given one of the following temporary grades after consultation with their instructor: X, when one or more examinations are missed; I, when the course work has not been completed; IE, when an I grade extension has been approved via student request (Request for Extension of I Grade Deadline form, found at; or IX, a combination of missed examinations and incomplete course work. The temporary grade of IC is issued when the course extends beyond the grading period.

The faculty member must submit a grade change form, found in CheckMarq, to change an I, IC, IE, IX or X to a permanent grade. The grade change deadline listed in the Academic Calendar pertains to I, IX, and X grades. For these grades, the student is obligated to submit all missing work to the instructor by the deadline, or to issue an extension request to the Graduate School by the deadline.

It is the responsibility of the faculty member to initiate the grade change procedure for the I, IX, and X grades by the deadline listed in the Academic Calendar. Grades of I, IE, or IX or X that are not resolved by the deadline will become permanent grades of PI on the student’s record. Change of the IC grade is faculty initiated, once the class is completed.

Changing a permanent grade, because of miscalculation on the part of the instructor or a misunderstanding between the instructor and the student, may be initiated by either the student or the instructor. Changing a permanent grade should be done within six months of the end of the term.

Contact Us

The Graduate School, Holthusen Hall, 3rd Floor
P.O. Box 1881
1324 W. Wisconsin Ave., Room 305
Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881
(414) 288-7137

Visit the contact page for more information