- Apply Today
- Master's and Doctoral Programs
- Application Instructions
- Request Information
- Contact the Graduate School
- Schedule a Campus Visit
- Graduate Bulletin
- Graduate School Staff
- Contributing to the Graduate School
Data Science Certificate
Online Data Science Courses
The curriculum is designed to connect data analytics and data science skills and knowledge with the needs evident in a host of fields. This certificate program seeks to meet a significant need for data analytics experts, targeting a human-centered approach. Those completing this certificate program will be able to identify and articulate problems, issues and decisions that can be informed by data analytics approaches and the ethical and social issues surrounding them; design and implement advanced strategies for analyzing big data, and create and present actionable information.
Employment information for certificate programs is available online. Students who receive the Data Science Certification can seek careers in professions including Computer and Information System Managers, Computer and Information Research Scientists, Software Developers, Systems Software, Data Warehousing Specialists, Business Intelligence Analysts and Search Marketing Strategists.
- Application Information
- Coursework Details
- Contact Us
Prerequisites for Admission
- An earned baccalaureate degree in any field with a GPA of at least 3.000.
- Information systems (coding/programming) competency, or successful completion of the coding boot camp course MSCS 6500 Foundations of Computing or an equivalent taken elsewhere.
- A foundational undergraduate or graduate statistics class that includes descriptive statistics, validity, reliability, power analysis, parametric and non-parametric analysis, general linear model (predictive models with continuous outcomes), with emphasis on appropriate data analysis for study design, level of measurement and interpretation of results.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, and admitted students may begin their program in summer, fall or spring.
- Read all application instructions prior to beginning an application.
- A completed online application form and fee.
- Copies of all college/university transcripts except Marquette*
- For international applicants who have not attended an English-speaking university only: TOEFL score or other acceptable proof of English proficiency.
*Upon admission, final official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities, with certified English translations if original language is not in English, must be submitted to the Graduate School within the first five weeks of the term of admission or a hold preventing registration for future terms will be placed on the student's record.
Students must complete a minimum of 15 credits of course work from the following courses:
|MSCS 6510||Business Intelligence||3|
|MSCS 6520||Business Analytics||3|
or MSCS 6060
or MSCS 6380
Topics in Math, Stats, & Computer Science (Data at Scale)
Parallel and Distributed Systems
Advanced Database Systems
|MSCS 6931||Topics in Math, Stats, & Computer Science (Advanced Data Science)||3|
|MSCS 6931||Topics in Math, Stats, & Computer Science (Ethical and Social Implications of Big Data)||3|
|Total Credit Hours||15|