All positions (faculty and non-faculty) require an approved online requisition through Employment@Marquette before an individual is hired to fill that open position. (UPP 4-23: Position Requisition/Authorization to Recruit).
A Position Request Form must be completed prior to posting a requisition in the online recruitment system for all regular, non-faculty, non-grant funded positions. Send the completed request form to your area’s Vice President’s Office or Dean’s Office to be attached to the online requisition.
A Position Request Form must be completed prior to posting a requisition in the online recruitment system for all full-time faculty, non-grant funded positions. Send the completed request form to your Dean/Director’s Office to be attached to the online requisition.
Creating a User Account on Employment @ Marquette
- Begin at the Hiring Manager’s site at: https://employment.marquette.edu/hr. If you already have an account created, you can log into the system using your CheckMarq credentials. If you are a new user, click on Create User Account, enter your Emarq/CheckMarq username and the other required information, and then submit it for approval. Once Human Resources has approved your account, you will be notified via email.
Position Requisition Instructions
- Once you’ve created your Employment@Marquette user account, log into the Hiring Manager’s site at: https://employment.marquette.edu/hr.
- Create your requisition by selecting Requisitions - Create from Template. If the site does not contain an existing template for your position, you will need to email Jennifer Burns, Director of Compensation. All faculty templates are already available in the system.
- Once the online requisition (authorization to recruit) has been reviewed and approved by the appropriate department head, Budget, and Human Resources, it will be posted by Human Resources and you will receive email notification.
- The minimum posting period is seven days. At any time after the seven day posting period, you may choose to close the position by logging into the Hiring Manager’s site and changing the posting status to Close/Remove from Web. If you chose a specific end date when you created the requisition, the posting will be automatically removed on the specified date. Once the position is moved to a status of closed/remove from web, it can no longer be viewed by applicants. The applicant materials are still viewable to the hiring manager and search committee.
Applicant Communication and Status
- Applicants that have successfully applied to a vacancy receive a confirmation number pass message and an email. The hiring manager is responsible for sending communication to interviewed and internal applicants (see sample letter).
- Applicants will only see a status of “In Progress” until the position is filled. You have the option of making applicant status changes at any time during the search. Once the position is filled, applicants will see a status of “Filled.” Candidates can NOT see the applicant statuses used for internal screening purposes.
- Applicants that do not meet the minimum requirements or have not been selected for interview should be listed as “Department Detd Did Not Meet Min Quals.” You must also choose an appropriate “Selection Reason” for each candidate not selected for interview. The options are: “Less relevant skills,” “Less relevant experience,” “Less relevant education,” “Salary Range,” or “Other.”
- You can begin interviewing immediately; however, you cannot make an offer to hire until after the seven day minimum posting period has passed.
- For interviewing tips and additional resources, please review our Interviewing Tips & Resources page.
- Every effort should be made to give internal candidates preference in the hiring process, provided that internal candidates have appropriate qualifications. As noted in UPP 4-05, “When the internal candidate meets the minimum qualifications for the open university position, or can meet the requirements in a brief time frame with on-the-job training, the hiring manager is expected to interview the candidate either by phone or in person.” For more information, please view UPP 4-05: Internal Candidates for Employment.
Final Hiring Stages
- All applicants should have one of three appropriate statuses selected: “Department Detd Did Not Meet Min Quals,” “Interviewed/Not Hired,” or “Recommended for Hire.”
- Communicate the offer of employment to your candidate.
- Complete the Online Confirmation of Offer for "New Hires" only through MyJob.
- Human Resources will send a new hire letter to all staff hires with the terms and conditions of employment.
- Individual academic departments will send a new hire letter and a faculty contract to all faculty hires, using the faculty new hire letter template.
- Academic hires must adhere to the new Academic Hiring Procedures as well as the new Recommendation for Appointment Form for faculty.
- The hiring manager is responsible for sending communication to interviewed and internal applicants (see sample letter). All other candidates will be notified through the Employment@Marquette system via email.
For other questions regarding the Employment@MU system, please contact Liz Sides, Lisa Ploszaj, Katie Theobald, or Courtney King.