- From the Manage Sections page, click the Create Sections link.
- On the Create Sections page, select an Enrollment Type. See Managing sections for descriptions of the enrollment types.
- Fill in the Number of Sections or Number of Users field depending on the Enrollment Type chosen.
- Select Auto-Enroll New Users if you want new users to be enrolled in sections automatically.
- Select Randomize users in sections if you want users to be placed in sections randomly. If you don’t choose this option, users are placed alphabetically.
- Select Setup Forums if you want to create discussion forums for the sections.
- Click Create.
Create section restricted discussion areas
If you select the Setup Discussion Areas option when creating sections, you are taken to the Create Restricted Discussion Areas page. From this page you can create a separate topic each section within an existing or new forum.
Tip If you want to create forums for each section with multiple topics within the forums, use the Discussions tool.
- Select the Forum you want from the drop-down list if you have already created a forum in the Discussions tool.
- Click the New Forum link to create a new forum for the category.
- Click Add Another if you want to add more than one discussion forum.
- Click Create or Create and Next when finished.
Note Clicking the Skip button takes you to the next page in the sections setup process without creating any restricted discussion areas.
Edit section restrictions on discussion forums and topics
You can edit group enrollment in restricted discussion forums and topics from the Sections tool. To add, edit, or delete forums or topics restricted by section you must use the Discussions tool.
- From the Manage Sections page, click the name of the category that contains the discussion forum you want to edit.
- From the Edit Category page, click the Edit Discussion Restrictions link.
- Select the Forum you want to make changes to in the Forum drop-down list or select to edit multiple forums at once.
- Use the check boxes in the Edit Restrictions grid to modify section enrollment in discussion forums and topics.
- Select Automatically create restricted topics if you want to add topics to the forums.
- Click Save.
Adding additional sections
If you add a new section with Auto-Enroll New Users selected, new users are automatically enrolled in the new section until users are evenly distributed between it and other sections. Once it is the same size as other sections, new users are added normally. If Auto-Enroll New Users is not selected, an empty section is created that you can add users to through the Enroll Users page. See Enrolling users in sections for more information.
- Click the Add Section icon on the Manage Sections page.
- Update the Section Name if you want it to be different from the one provided.
- Update the Section Code if you want it to be different from the one provided. (This option might not be available.)
- Enter a Description for the section, if desired.
- Click Add.
© 1999-2011 Desire2Learn Incorporated. All rights reserved.