Voice mail from phone lines that are shared by multiple users will be sent to a single e-mail address. The primary designate can give access to other users. People who have been granted access to a shared mailbox can open the the shared account by using Outlook, Entourage 2008, or Outlook Web App (OWA)
How to Access a Shared Mailbox IF YOU HAVE BEEN GRANTED ACCESS to that mailbox:
How to Share your mailbox if you are the Mailbox Owner
Use Outlook 2010 to access a Shared Mailbox
- After you've been given security access to the Inbox folder, open Outlook using your personal credentials.
- Click on File > Open > Other User's Folder…
- Enter a username in the Name… text box or choose an account from the Global Address List by clicking Name....
- Click the down arrow to select a Folder type. Select Inbox and click OK.
Please note: you will only have access to the Inbox. No additional folders will be accessible.
Use Outlook 2011 for Mac to access a Shared Mailbox
After you've been given security access to the Inbox folder, open Outlook using your personal credentials.
Click on File > Open > Other User's Folder…
- Enter a username in the User: box or click to search in the Global Address List. Click OK.
- Select Inbox and click OK.
Please note: you will only have access to the Calendar or Inbox. No additional folders will be accessible.
- The Folder Properties: Inbox window will open. Select Reviewer from the pull‐down menu for Permission Level.
- Click OK.
Use Outlook Web App (OWA) to access a Shared Mailbox
- Visit https://emarq.marquette.edu
- Log into your personal mailbox.
- In the upper right corner, click the down arrow next to your display name (which shows as "Last name, First name").
- A drop-down menu appears. Click Open another mailbox....
- Enter the username for the shared mailbox. Outlook Web App will display potential mailboxes for you to select as you type.
- Once you have the right mailbox selected, click Open.
- The shared mailbox will open in a new browser window and can be used just as you would use your personal mailbox.
Reset your PIN for a shared mailbox for voice mail
- Open your Web browser and enter the following URL:
https://email@example.com where "sharedmailboxname" is the account name for your voice mail account.
- Enter your username and password.
- You will be placed in the Inbox for the shared mailbox.
- Click Options > Voice Mail > Reset Voice Mail PIN.
- Click OK when a window opens asking if you want to reset your voice mail PIN.
- A temporary PIN will be generated and the new number will be sent to your shared Inbox. When you check your voice mail on the phone, you will be required to set a new PIN.
How to Share your mailbox using Outlook 2010 if you are the Mailbox Owner
- Open Outlook, right-click the Inbox > Properties > the Permissions tab.
- Click Add to add a user and enter their name and search the Global Address List.
- Click Add. Click OK> OK.
- Select a Permission Level for the user. Click OK.
How to Share your mailbox using Outlook 2011 for Mac if you are the Mailbox Owner
Open Outlook, Ctrl-click or right-click the Inbox > Sharing Permissions.
The Folder Properties: Inbox window will open.
- Click Add User.
- The Select user window will open.
- Enter the name of the user and click Find to search for the user in the Global Address List, select the desired account, and click OK.
- Select Reviewer from the pull‐down menu for Permission Level.
- Click OK.
Learn more about Voice Mail.
If you have further questions, please contact the IT Services Help Desk.