For Personally Owned Devices
ABOUT OFFICE 365
Use Office on up to five desktop computers (Mac or Windows) and up to five mobile devices. Save up to 1,000 GB of file storage.
HOW LONG CAN STUDENTS KEEP AN OFFICE 365 SUBSCRIPTION?
IMPORTANT: Office 365 and OneDrive for Business file storage is available to students only while enrolled at Marquette University. Students who leave prior to graduating may have their accounts disabled immediately, which includes access to Office 365 and OneDrive for Business.
New graduates retain access to Office 365 and OneDrive for Business for approximately one year after the term they graduate. Be sure to transfer all your OneDrive for Business file storage before you leave Marquette.
HOW LONG CAN FACULTY/STAFF KEEP AN OFFICE 365 SUBSCRIPTION?
IMPORTANT: Office 365 and OneDrive for Business file storage is available to faculty and staff only while employed at Marquette University.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN OFFICE 365?
Applications within Office 365 include:
- Windows: Word 2013, Excel 2013, PowerPoint 2013, OneNote 2013, Access 2013, Publisher 2013, Outlook 2013, Lync 2013 and InfoPath 2013.
Microsoft recommends installing the 32-bit version of Office 365 which is the default installation even if you have a 64-bit computer. (Very few would need the 64-bit version. Learn more.)
- Note: Faculty/staff Windows users should keep the current version of Office already installed on university-owned computers. Do NOT install Office 365 on a university-owned computer. This is due to the incompatibility of newer versions of Lync (Skype for Business) that the university is using.
- Mac: Word 2011, Excel 2011, PowerPoint 2011 and Outlook 2011. (OneNote is free, separate download for Mac OS X Mavericks users. Lync 2011 is available in Campus Downloads.)
- iPad: Word, Excel and PowerPoint. (Lync and OneNote are free, separate downloads.)
- iPhone/iPod Touch, Windows Phone and Android phones: Word Mobile, Excel Mobile and PowerPoint Mobile. (Lync Mobile and OneNote Mobile are free, separate downloads.)
HOW TO GET OFFICE 365 FOR WINDOWS OR MAC
- CRITICAL: If you are installing Office 365 on a computer with an existing version of Office, that version of Office must be uninstalled before installing Office 365.
TO AVOID COMPUTER PROBLEMS, use these resource links to uninstall Microsoft Office:
- Go to http://office.mu.edu/
- If you see an Office 365 login, enter your Marquette email address (in the form of firstname.lastname@example.org). Then simply place your cursor in the password field. Please note this may automatically redirect you to a new login prompt.
- You may be prompted to login. If so, enter your Marquette username (same one used for eMarq, CheckMarq and D2L) as
marqnet\username where "username" is your own Marquette username. Then enter your Marquette password (same one used for eMarq, CheckMarq and D2L).
- After successful login, you reach the Office 365 site.
(If you see the OneDrive Documents website upon login, click the black "Office 365" rectangle in the upper left to reach the Office 365 site.)
Before you install, see the system requirements for Windows or Mac. If your computer is ready for Microsoft Office 365, click Install.
- A page appears that automatically detects the type of computer you are using. Click the install button.
- An installer begins to download.
- Windows users: If you are prompted to save the file, click Save File. When download is complete, launch the installer. If prompted to run the file, click Run.
- Mac users: A disk image, MicrosoftOffice2011.dmg, will download. When complete, open MicrosoftOffice2011.dmg. A window appears with Microsoft Office installer. Double-click Microsoft Office installer to begin installation.
Note for some Mac users: If you receive an error message stating Office "cannot be installed because it was not downloaded from the Mac App store," follow these instructions. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab. Under the header "Allow applications downloaded from," select Mac App Store and identified developers. Close the preferences window. Relaunch the Office installer. (See more detailed instructions from Apple.)
- Follow the installer prompts to finish Office 365 installation.
IMPORTANT FOR MAC USERS: After installation, be sure to choose Sign in to an existing Office 365 subscription.
MAC USERS, PLEASE NOTE: After selecting the subscription option, you must enter your Marquette email address (not your Marquette username). You will need to sign-in again using your Marquette email address (not your Marquette username) and Marquette password.
HOW TO GET OFFICE 365 APPS FOR MOBILE DEVICES
- From your mobile device, launch a web browser.
- Go to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile
- From that Microsoft web page, scroll to "Want Office on your devices for free?" then select your device.
- A web page for your device appears. Select the download or get button.
- Download and install the app on your device, as you would for any other app. This is a free installation.
- Launch the app.
- Advance past introductory screens to get to sign-in.
- You are prompted to sign in. For email address, be sure to use your Marquette email address, following the format of
email@example.com. Click Next.
- You will see another sign-in prompt with your Marquette email address filled in. Enter your Marquette password (same one used for eMarq, CheckMarq and D2L). Tap the "Sign in" button.
- Microsoft will confirm your sign-in. If successful, you will be prompted to continue and use the app.
For questions about Office 365, please contact the IT Services Help Desk at (414) 288-7799 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to Office 365 Home