ABOUT OFFICE 365 FOR STUDENTS
IT Services offers enrolled students a subscription to Microsoft Office 365 with OneDrive for Business storage at no cost. Each subscription license allows you to run Office on up to five desktop computers (Mac or PC). You can also run Office on up to five mobile devices. The subscription includes 1,000 GB of file storage through Microsoft's OneDrive for Business.
HOW LONG CAN I KEEP MY OFFICE 365 SUBSCRIPTION?
IMPORTANT: Office 365 and OneDrive for Business file storage is available to students only while enrolled at Marquette University. Students who leave prior to graduating may have their accounts disabled immediately, which includes access to Office 365 and OneDrive for Business.
New graduates retain access to Office 365 and OneDrive for Business for approximately one year after the term they graduate. Be sure to transfer all your OneDrive for Business file storage before you leave Marquette.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN OFFICE 365?
Applications within Office 365 include:
- Windows: Word 2013, Excel 2013, PowerPoint 2013, OneNote 2013, Access 2013, Publisher 2013, Outlook 2013, Lync 2013 and InfoPath 2013.
- Mac: Word 2011, Excel 2011, PowerPoint 2011 and Outlook 2011. (OneNote is free, separate download for Mac OS X Mavericks users. Lync 2011 is available in Campus Downloads.)
- iPad: Word, Excel and PowerPoint. (Lync and OneNote are free, separate downloads.)
- iPhone/iPod Touch, Windows Phone and Android phones: Word Mobile, Excel Mobile and PowerPoint Mobile. (Lync Mobile and OneNote Mobile are free, separate downloads.)
HOW TO GET OFFICE 365 FOR WINDOWS OR MAC
- Go to http://office.mu.edu/
- You are prompted to login. Please enter your Marquette username (same one used for eMarq, CheckMarq and D2L) as
marqnet\username where "username" is your own Marquette username. Then enter your Marquette password (same one used for eMarq, CheckMarq and D2L).
- After successful login, you reach an Office 365 site. Before you install, see the system requirements for Windows or Mac. If your computer is ready for Microsoft Office 365, click Install.
- A page appears that automatically detects the type of computer you are using. Click the install button.
- An installer begins to download.
- Windows users: If you are prompted to save the file, click Save File. When download is complete, launch the installer. If prompted to run the file, click Run.
- Mac users: A disk image, MicrosoftOffice2011.dmg, will download. When complete, open MicrosoftOffice2011.dmg. A window appears with Microsoft Office installer. Double click Microsoft Office installer to begin installation.
Note for some Mac users: If you receive an error message stating Office "cannot be installed because it was not downloaded from the Mac App store," follow these instructions. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab. Under the header "Allow applications downloaded from," select Mac App Store and identified developers. Close the preferences window. Relaunch the Office installer. (See more detailed instructions from Apple.)
- Follow the installer prompts to finish Office 365 installation.
IMPORTANT FOR MAC USERS: After installation, be sure to choose Sign in to an existing Office 365 subscription.
PLEASE NOTE: After selecting the subscription option, you must enter your Marquette email address (not your Marquette username).
You will need to sign-in again using your Marquette email address (not your Marquette username) and Marquette password.
HOW TO GET OFFICE 365 APPS FOR MOBILE DEVICES
- From your mobile device, launch a web browser.
- Go to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile
- A page appears that automatically detects the type of device you are using and lists the apps available for your device.
- Find an app you want, such as Microsoft Office, and tap the icon that says download or get the app.
- Download and install the app on your device, as you would for any other app. This is a free installation.
- Launch the app.
- Advance past introductory screens to get to sign-in.
- You are prompted to sign in. For email address, be sure to use your Marquette email address, following the format of
firstname.lastname@example.org. Click Next.
- You will see another sign-in prompt with your Marquette email address filled in. Enter your Marquette password (same one used for eMarq, CheckMarq and D2L). Tap the "Sign in" button.
- Microsoft will confirm your sign-in. If successful, you will be prompted to continue and use the app.
For questions about Office 365 for students, please contact the IT Services Help Desk at (414) 288-7799 or email@example.com.