Download Quick Reference Card
Word 2013 Quick Reference Card (restricted to campus)
Seven New Features in Word 2013
Watch a video about Word 2013's new features
Make Word 2013 look like Word 2010 on startup
1. Reading Mode
Designed for Tablet users, this mode allows users to flip through documents in a book-like layout, without the distraction of editing tools.
When you reopen a document, a bookmark is placed in the last location you scrolled to, and you can keep reading right where you left off.
3. Edit text in PDFs using Word
Open a PDF and edit the content
just like you edit a Word document. To open a PDF using Word, right-click it and select Open with > Microsoft Word 2013.
4. Simple Markup Tracking
Simple Markup, the default view for viewing tracked changes, makes it easier to read the document. It allows you to see comments and tracked changes by clicking on the red bar to the left of the text. If you want all tracked changes and comments to show, like in previous versions of Word, switch to All Markup.
- Lock a document into commenting mode and prevent other authors from turning off Track Changes.
- Answer comments by clicking the reply button in the comment, right-clicking in the comment, or clicking New Comment on the ribbon while you are in a comment.
- Right-click on a comment and click Mark Comment Done to shrink down the comment and replies .
5. Collapse or expand parts of a document
This allows readers to open sections and read details if they want.
6. Improved features for working with images
- Switch between layouts by clicking the Layout Options button on the top right corner of the image and choose one of the choices under With Text Wrapping.
- Live layout shows what a new layout will look like as you reposition, resize or rotate images.
- Alignment guides help you align your images with your text.
- Search in Word for online pictures using Bing.
Click Insert > Online Pictures and enter a search term in the Bing Image Search box.
7. Insert online video in Word documents
Insert video directly into your documents and users can view it in Word.
Word 2013 Video
Learn more about What's new in Word 2013 at microsoft.com
Contact the Help Desk if you have questions.