Files and Filenames
- Are filenames all lowercase (e.g., training.shtml)?
- Are filenames concise?
Please do not use the very long filename that Contribute offers from the document title.
- Does the filename use a hyphen for a space (e.g., training-schedule.shtml)?
- Is the file extension .shtml or .php used for web pages?
- Are file download types identified at the end of the link with an icon or text in parentheses? Example: Download the form (PDF)
Document Title and Metatags
- Does the page have a proper document title that follows...
Page Title | Department | Marquette University
Page Title // Department // Marquette University
... to improve search engine optimization?
- Did you enter keywords for the page?
- Did you enter a description based on the body text?
Note: The page title appears as a headline just above the breadcrumbs.
- Is the page title all caps?
- Does the page title reflect the actual content of the page?
(Make sure you did not accidentally recycle a page title like "Anti-Virus" on a page describing passwords.)
- Did you inadvertently add an identical headline or subhead as the first line in the body section of the page?
(If the page title reads "TRAINING," the first line of text should not be a subhead named "Training.")
- Do the breadcrumb links work?
- Is the wording of all breadcrumbs correct?
- Are there colons between breadcrumbs?
- Does the last breadcrumb match the page title?
- Did you run spell check?
- Did you read through for grammar, punctuation and style errors?
For style questions, see the Marquette Writer's Manual (PDF)
- Is the paragraph spacing correct?
- Is the font size standard?
- Did you use bullet point lists and subheads to make the page skimmable?
- Is bold used sparingly for emphasis?
- Did you avoid use of color alone for emphasis (for color-blind users)?
- Did you avoid jargon?
- Is the page free of any placeholder text (e.g. "insert actual date here")?
- Did you omit the hostname on links to files on the server (e.g., use /its/contact.shtml vs. http://www.marquette.edu/its/contact.shtml) where possible?
- Did you check the links (manually or via an automated link checker)?
- Even if the link works, is it going to the right web page?
- Is the linked text descriptive but not too long?
- If using mailto links, are they going to the correct e-mail address?
- Advanced: Did you check for the use of the pound sign as a link placeholder?
Images and Design
- If you added an image to a page that lacks one, would it improve the page?
- Do all images have alt tags?
- Do the images meet quality standards?
- Not missing
- University appropriate
- Crisp, not lossy
- Screenshots are cropped and easily readable
- Less than 70 kilobytes
- Does not primarily show Gesu Church
- Aligned with spacing between the image and text
- Does the page resemble other templated pages in the site (i.e., no stylesheet issues)?
- Are tables used for tabular data? Is there sufficient padding in the table cells?
- Does the page print well?
- How does the page look in Internet Explorer?
- Firefox for Windows? Chrome for Windows? Chrome for Android?
- Safari for Mac? Safari for iOS? Firefox for Mac? Chrome for Mac?
- Does the thank you page work on submission?
- Are required fields required?
- Do you have the correct e-mail address recipient on the form?