View the PDF version of these instructions
IMPORTANT NOTE: All Marquette faculty and staff should be using the MU_Admin wireless connection NOT the MU_Wireless. The MU_Admin wireless connection secures all data and information that travels through the wireless network, the MU_Wireless connection does not. It is of the utmost importance to use the MU_Admin wireless connection if you are working with sensitive or critical Marquette information. Examples of sensitive and critical information include all information identifiable to an individual (including students, staff, faculty, trustees, donors, and alumni), University proprietary information, and information that is regulated by federal, state, and/or local government (e.g., FERPA, HIPAA).
SPECIAL NOTE: This document refers to configuration for Windows XP only.
- Update your system software. Go to http://update.microsoft.com/ to check for and install any critical system updates.
- Configure your wireless connection for MU_Wireless. There are two ways to access the settings for your system depending on how your Start menu has been configured. Refer to either 2a or 2b to access the Network Connections area on the computer.
- Click on Start->Connect To->Show All Connections as shown in this image.
OR if your Start menu is set up differently…
- Click on Start->Settings->Network Connections as shown in this image.
- When the Network Connections window appears, right-click on the Wireless Network Connection icon and select Properties from the popup menu.
- After the Wireless Network Connection Properties window opens, click on the Wireless Networks tab and then click on the button to View Wireless Networks.
- A window similar to that shown here will appear. Select the MU_Wireless network if shown. You may need to click on the link to Refresh network list to force MU_Wireless to appear. (If you are not in a MU_Wireless hotspot, this operation will not work). After selecting MU_Wireless, click on the Connect button located in the lower right corner of the window. Once connected, you may close this window.
- Launch Internet Explorer. There will be a series of windows that may appear depending on your web browser’s configuration.
Click OK if this window appears.
Click Yes if this window appears.
- When the wireless login page appears as shown here, enter your CheckMarq username and password to connect to the MU_Wireless network.
- If the following warning appears, you should click Yes to continue.
You should now be connected to the MU_Wireless network. If you require technical assistance with your connection, please contact the IT Services Help Desk at (414) 288-7799.
Back to Students and Guests Wireless Instructions Home
Back to Wireless Access Home