Alpha Sigma Nu was founded at Marquette University as Alpha Sigma Tau in 1915-1916 by Rev. John Danihy, S.J. The society was organized to honor male students who distinguished themselves in scholarship, loyalty, and service to the university and to bring together those alumni who most fully understood and and appreciated the ideals of Jesuit higher education.
The society continued as a local organization until 1921, when Creighton University was invited to join. Other invitations were extended to St. Louis University in 1923 and to Detroit University in 1924. In 1930 the name was changed to Alpha Sigma Nu. Gradually, other colleges and universities joined until there are now 33 chapters.
Gamma Pi Epsilon was an honor society for women, founded at Marquette University in 1925. In 1947 it became a national society with the addition of St. Louis University. In 1973 the two associations of Alpha Sigma Nu and Gamma Pi Epsilon merged into one society named Alpha Sigma Nu.
The records identify the members, provide descriptions of the work of the societies, and contain correspondence of officers. The constitution and bylaws, newsletters and bulletins, financial records, records of meetings and conventions, and information on chapters are also included, as well as documentation of the merger of the two societies.
The Archival records of the Marquette Chapter of Alpha Sigma Nu are maintained as part of the Marquette University Archives.