GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE UNITED STATES Volume 2: Midwest United States: ILLINOIS: IL-11
Archdiocese of Chicago
St. Kateri Center of Chicago
3938 North Leavitt Street
Chicago, IL 60618
History: In Uptown in 1952, the Archdiocese of Chicago began its first apostolate to Chicago-area Native Americans (Ojibwa, Navajo, et.al.), which was followed by the Aniwim Center in 1982 and renamed the St. Kateri Center in 2012.
History of the St. Kateri Center of Chicago
|1982||Local Native American elders, with assistance from two Dominican Sisters of the Most Holy Rosary (Sinsinawa, Wisconsin), established the Anawim Center in Uptown as an outreach ministry to its diverse Native American population representing 250 tribes|
|1982-2011||The Dominican Sisters administered the center and were followed by a Franciscan sister and successive Native American lay directors; sacramental records were recorded at St. Thomas of Canterbury Church|
Renamed the St. Kateri Center of Chicago, it relocated to the campus St. Benedict parish where subsequent sacramental records have been recorded
Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:
Inclusive dates: 1982-present
Volume: Less than 1 cubic foot
Description: The St. Kateri Center holds memorabilia about its history and a copy of sacramental records from St. Thomas of Canterbury Church, 1982-2011.
[Holdings not at Marquette University, however, Marquette’s holdings include related records.]