GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE UNITED STATES Volume 1: Eastern United States: Mississippi MS-3

Diocese of Jackson

 

Holy Rosary Indian Mission 
10131 Holy Rosary Road 
P.O. Box 37 
Philadelphia, MS 39350

Phone: 601-656-2880

http://holyrosaryindianmission.com/home.html

 

Hours: See website

Access: See website

Copying facilities: Unknown

 

History:

1883-1884 Father B.J. Bekkers visited the Choctaw Indians of the Tucker area, now known as rural Philadelphia, Mississippi
1884-1911 Father Bekkers established and administered Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Mission (Choctaw), Tucker
1885-1906 Father Bekkers added a day school staffed by the Sisters of Mercy (then St. Francis Xavier Convent, Vicksburg, Mississippi; now Mercy Heritage Center, Belmont, North Carolina)
1900-1905 Rosminians [Institute of Charity] (Peoria, Illinois) administered Holy Rosary
1905-1922 A diocesan priest administered Holy Rosary
1906-1944 Holy Rosary school continued with a lay teacher
By 1915 Many Choctaw Indians had moved to the Choctaw Nation in Oklahoma; however, several families later returned to Tucker, Neshoba, and nearby counties
1922-1932 The Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Arlington, Virginia) administered the religious education ministries at Holy Rosary and Tekakwitha House
1932-1946 A diocesan priest administered Holy Rosary
1934-1944 Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) administered the religious education ministries at Tekakwitha House
1946-present Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity (then Arlington, Virginia; now Silver Spring, Maryland) have administered Holy Rosary
1970-1980 Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity administered the religious education ministries

 

Diocesan and religious congregation priests from Holy Rosary attended the following Choctaw Indian missions and stations:

 

1903-1916 (mission destroyed by fire) Forest mission station, Scott County
1914-1923 Lake station, Newton and Scott Counties
1923-1944 Standing Pine station, Leake County
1944-present St. Catherine Mission (Choctaw), Conehatta
1945-1950 Pearl River station, Neshoba County
1950-1970 St. Francis de Sales Mission, Pearl River, Neshoba County
1973-present St. Theresa Mission, Pearl River, Neshoba County

 

Holding of Catholic records about Native Americans: Sacramental records (e.g. baptisms, marriages, burials) for Holy Rosary Mission and its missions and stations.

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

New2006/rev2008-2017

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives