Research and Scholarship at MU



Special Collections and Archives

GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE UNITED STATES

Volume 1: Eastern United State - Belmont, North Carolina: NC-1

Diocese of Charlotte


Sisters of Mercy of the Americas. Mercy Heritage Center
720 Heritage Center Place
Belmont, NC 94010

Phone: 704-755-2085

https://www.sistersofmercy.org/about-us/mercy-heritage-center/

 

Hours: See website

Access: See website

Copying facilities: Yes

 

History: Founded in Ireland in 1843, the Sisters of Mercy made their first U.S. foundation in 1843. In 1929 and later, several motherhouses formed the Sisters of Mercy of the Union, to which more motherhouses joined later. They reorganized as Sisters of Mercy of the Americas in 1991, realigned in 2008, and established Mercy Heritage Center as their national repository in 2010.

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1870s-1908, 1960s-1981, undated

Volume: Over 4.0 cubic feet

Description: Includes records within 5 collections.

 

/1 Burlingame Regional Community Collection, 2014.01

History: In 1991, the Sisters of Mercy of Los Angeles merged to become the Burlingame (California) Regional Community and transferred its archival records to Mercy Heritage Center in 2014. The Sisters of Mercy of Los Angeles had ministered to Pomo Indians in the following communities in California:

1876-1903 St. Mary of the Angels Church, Ukiah
1876-1903 Mendocino County stations

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans: Unknown.

 

/2 Detroit Regional Community Collection, 2013.07

History: The Sisters of Mercy of the Union, Detroit Province (Farmington, Michigan), reorganized as the Detroit Regional Community in 1991 and transferred its archival records to Mercy Heritage Center in 2013. Detroit Province sisters taught at Santa Cruz School (Pima, Maricopa, and Tohono O’odham, in part), Tucson, Arizona, 1974-1975.

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans: Unknown.

 

/3 Omaha Regional Community Collection 2013.04

History: Independent motherhouses formed the Sisters of Mercy of the Union, Omaha Province, in 1929. It reorganized as the Omaha Regional Community in 1991 and transferred its archival records to Mercy Heritage Center in 2013. Sisters from its motherhouses taught at the following schools:

1878-1883 Sacred Heart Academy (Yankton), Yankton, Dakota Territory
1884-1907 (closed) St. Mary School (Métis and Ojibwa), Belcourt, North Dakota
1885-1896 (closed) Indian Industrial School (Ojibwa), Morris, Minnesota

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1870s-1908, 1960s-1981, undated

Volume: Approximately .7 cubic foot

Description: Correspondence (some copies), printed materials, and research notes arranged alphabetically by state and compiled by Sister Cecelia Mary Barry, S.M., 1960s-1981, for an Omaha Province history of the Sisters of Mercy. The copies came from Bureau of Indian Affairs Records at the U.S. National Archives and the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records at Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

A. "Nebraska, Box II," 1870s-1880s, 8 letters: to Bishop James O'Connor, Diocese of Omaha, re: Sacred Heart Academy, Yankton, Dakota Territory

B. "North Dakota, Box I," 1883-1908, 1960s-1981, undated, approximately .25 cubic foot:

1. Correspondence, 1883-1908, undated, 53 letters; re: schools at Yankton, Dakota Territory, and Belcourt, North Dakota; major correspondents include Sisters Mary Ignatius Lynch, S.M. and Mary Genevieve Sheridan, S.M. and Reverends George L. Willard and John F. Malo

2. Sister Cecelia Barry, S.M., research notes, correspondence, and printed materials, re: Yankton and Belcourt Schools, 1960s-1981, undated, approximately .2 cubic foot

C. "North Dakota, Box II," 1880s-1908, 2 folders; correspondence and quarterly school reports relating to St. Mary School, Belcourt; major correspondents include Sister Mary Genevieve Sheridan, S.M. and the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions

D. "Oregon, Box I," 1885, 1888-1889, 1896, 1960s-1981, undated, approximately .2 cubic foot:

1. Correspondence, 1885, 1888-1889, 3 letters: re: Indian School at Morris, Minnesota

2. Photographs, 1896, undated, 2 photos; re: Indian School at Morris, Minnesota

3. Sister Cecelia Barry, S.M., research notes, correspondence, and printed Materials, re: Indian School at Morris, Minnesota, 1960s-1981, undated, approximately .2 cubic foot

E. "Oregon-Minnesota, Box II," 1889-1897, .15 cubic foot:

1. Correspondence, 1889-1897, approximately 140 letters; re: Indian School at Morris, Minnesota; major correspondents include Sister Mary Joseph Lynch, S.M., the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions

2. Financial and statistical reports, 1893-1896, 1 folder

 

/4 St. Louis Regional Community Collection, 2012.03

History: In 1929, the Sisters of Mercy of Oklahoma merged with the Sisters of Mercy of the Union, St. Louis Province, which reorganized as the St. Louis Regional Community in 1991. Its archival records transferred to Mercy Heritage Center in 2012. Sisters from its motherhouses taught at the following schools:

1884-1946 (closed) St. Mary’s Academy (Potawatomi), Konawa/ Sacred Heart, Oklahoma; served by Mount St. Mary’s Convent (Oklahoma City)
1885-1903 (closed) Holy Rosary Day School (Choctaw), Tucker, Mississippi; served by St. Francis Xavier Convent (Vicksburg, Mississippi)
1898-1932 (no longer Indian) St. Agnes Academy for Girls (Choctaw and Chickasaw), Ardmore, Oklahoma; served by Mount St. Mary’s Convent (Oklahoma City)
1915-1921 (closed) St. Agnes Boarding School for Boys (Choctaw and Chickasaw), Ardmore, Oklahoma; served by Mount St. Mary’s Convent (Oklahoma City)
1975-1976 St. Joseph Indian School (Brulé, Sans Arc, Sisseton, and Wahpeton), Chamberlain, South Dakota; served by the St. Louis Regional Community and Mount St. Mary’s Academy Motherhouse (Burlington, Vermont)

 

Holdings of Catholic-related records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1884-1946, undated

Volume: 3.2 cubic feet

Description: The records of Mount St. Mary's Convent are not organized according to a classification scheme. However, except for the photographs, the records have been rough-sorted by school and thereunder by type of record.

A. St. Mary Academy, Sacred Heart, 1884-1946, undated, 2.8 cubic feet:

1. Correspondence, 1894-1929, 1931, 1946-1947, 138 letters: major correspondents include Mothers Mary Catherine Troy, S.M. and M. Aloysius Lonnergan, S.M. and Sisters M. William Cody, S.M., M. Thomas Otis, S.M., M. Evangelist Forgett, S.M., and Theophile Meerschaert, S.M., and the Bureau of Indian Affairs and Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions

2. Student records, 1899-1944, 1.5 cubic feet: prominent types of school records include permanent report cards, which typically list name, birth date, parents' names, residence, dates when entered and left school, attendance, and grades; attendance and grade books; enrollment books; and quarterly attendance reports submitted to the Bureau of Indian Affairs

3. Financial records, 1894-1946, 1 cubic foot: include cash and daybooks, general ledgers, student account books, and monthly and quarterly financial reports to the Province of St. Louis, Sisters of Mercy

4. Sacramental records (copies), 1906-1943, 1 folder: baptisms, 1906-1940; first communions, 1933-1943; and confirmations, 1915-1935, 1939-1941

5. Indian Advocate, 1904-1907, .1 cubic foot: publication of Sacred Heart Mission

6. Photographs, ca. 1890s-1916, undated, approximately 40 prints

B. St. Agnes Academy, Ardmore, 1898-1930s, undated, .4 cubic foot:

1. Correspondence, 1900-1933, 148 letters: major correspondents include Sisters M. Thomas Otis, S.M. and M. William Cody, S.M. and Mothers Mary Catherine Troy, S.M. and Aloysius Lonnergan, S.M., the Bureau of Indian Affairs and Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions

2. School records, 1922-1923, 1926-1931, .15 cubic foot: primarily attendance and grade books

3. Financial records, 1898-1901, 1925-1927, .1 cubic foot: includes a daybook and listing of tuition fees due for each student

4. Photographs, 1914-1930s, undated, approximately 40 prints

 

/5 Vermont Regional Community Collection

History: After 1976, Mount St. Mary’s Academy Motherhouse (Burlington, Vermont) consolidated with other Northeast motherhouses and formed the Vermont Regional Community (Burlington, Vermont). Sisters from Mount St. Mary’s Academy Motherhouse (Burlington, Vermont), and the St. Louis Regional Community, taught at St. Joseph Indian School (Brulé, Sans Arc, Sisseton, and Wahpeton), Chamberlain, South Dakota, 1975-1976.

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans: Unknown.

 

Unless noted otherwise, the records identified in this repository entry are held by that repository and not Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about the Native and Catholic groups and places described in this entry.

New1984/rev2003-2017