GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE UNITED STATES Volume 1: Eastern United States: OHIO OH-3

Archdiocese of Cincinnati

Franciscans. St. John the Baptist Province
1615 Vine Street 
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Phone: 513-721-4700

http://www.franciscan.org/

Hours: By appointment only

Access: Some restrictions apply

Copying facilities: Yes

History: Franciscans from the Reformed Province of Tyrol, Austria, made a foundation in Cincinnati, 1844, and established the St. John the Baptist Franciscan Province, 1885. The St. John the Baptist Province Franciscans administered the following missions, parishes, and schools among Native Americans:

1897-1922 (transferred to Santa Barbara Franciscan Province) St. John the Baptist Church (Pima), Laveen/ Komatke, Gila River Reservation, Arizona
1897-1922 (transferred to Santa Barbara Franciscan Province) St. John the Baptist School (Apache, Pima, and Tohono O’odham), Laveen/ Komatke, Gila River Reservation, Arizona
1898-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Michael Mission (Navajo), St. Michaels, Navajo Reservation, Arizona
1900-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Church (Cochiti) Peña Blanca, Cochiti Reservation, New Mexico
1900-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Dominic Mission (Santo Domingo), Santo Domingo Pueblo, Santo Domingo Reservation, New Mexico
1900-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) San Buenaventura Mission (Cochiti), Cochiti Pueblo, Cochiti Reservation, New Mexico
1901-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) San Diego Church (Tewa), Tesuque Pueblo, Tesuque Reservation, New Mexico
1902-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission (Jemez), Canyon de Jemez, Jemez Reservation, New Mexico
1902-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Anne/ Santa Ana Mission (Santa Ana), Santa Ana Pueblo, Santa Ana Reservation, New Mexico
1902-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Isidore Mission (Jemez), San Ysidro, Jemez Reservation, New Mexico
1902-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) San Diego Mission (Jemez), Jemez Pueblo, Jemez Reservation, New Mexico
1910-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Francis of Assisi Church (Apache), Lumberton, Jicarilla Reservation, New Mexico
1910-1985 (transferred to Gallup Diocese) St. Joseph Church (Laguna), Laguna Pueblo, Laguna Reservation, New Mexico
1914-1922 (transferred to Santa Barbara Franciscan Province) St. Joseph Mission (Apache), Mescalero, Mescalero Reservation, New Mexico
1914-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Mary/ Immaculate Conception Church (Navajo), Tohatchi, Navajo Reservation, New Mexico
1914-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Mission (Navajo), Fort Defiance, Navajo Reservation, Arizona
1915-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Round Rock Mission (Navajo), Round Rock, Navajo Reservation, Arizona
1918-1922 (transferred to Santa Barbara Franciscan Province) San Carlos Mission (Apache), San Carlos, San Carlos Reservation, Arizona
1920-1985 (transferred to Gallup Diocese) St. Joseph Church (Hopi and Navajo), Keams Canyon, Hopi Reservation, Arizona
1922-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Anthony Church and School (Zuni), Zuni Pueblo, Zuni Reservation, New Mexico
1924-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Christ the King Church (Navajo), Shiprock, Navajo Reservation, New Mexico
1930-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) San Estevan del Rey Mission (Acoma), Acoma Pueblo, Acoma Reservation, New Mexico
1935-1985 (transferred to Gallup Diocese) San Lorenzo Mission (Navajo and Zuni), Tinaja, New Mexico
1939-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Annunciation Church (Navajo), Chinle, Navajo Reservation, Arizona
1943-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Francis of Assisi Church (Navajo and other) Gallup, New Mexico
1947-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) San Ildefonso Church (Tewa), San Ildefonso Pueblo, San Ildefonso Reservation, New Mexico
1947-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Santa Clara Church (Tewa), Santa Clara Pueblo, Santa Clara Reservation, New Mexico
1948-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Anthony Church (Navajo), Naschitti, Navajo Reservation, New Mexico
1950-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Mission (Laguna), Encinal, Laguna Reservation, New Mexico
1950-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Sacred Heart Mission (Laguna), Mesita, Laguna Reservation, New Mexico
1950-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Elizabeth Mission (Laguna), Paguate, Laguna Reservation, New Mexico
1950-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Mary Margaret Mission (Laguna), Paraje, Laguna Reservation, New Mexico
1954-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Queen of Angels Chapel (various), Albuquerque, New Mexico
1955-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Anne Church (Navajo), Klagetoh, Navajo Reservation, Arizona
1956-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Jude Church (Navajo and Hopi), Tuba City, Navajo Reservation, Arizona
1956-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission (Navajo), Kayenta, Navajo Reservation, Arizona
1950s-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Our Lady of the Rosary Mission (Navajo), Greasewood, Navajo Reservation, Arizona
1963-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) St. Berard Church (Navajo), Navajo, Navajo Reservation, New Mexico
1966-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Santa Maria del Acoma/ McCarty Mission (Acoma), McCarty, Acoma Reservation, New Mexico
1968-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) All Saints Church (Navajo), Ganado, Navajo Reservation, Arizona
1960s-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Sawmill Mission (Navajo), Sawmill, Navajo Reservation, New Mexico
1970-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Chuska Mission (Navajo), Chuska, Navajo Reservation, New Mexico
1980-1985 (transferred to Our Lady of Guadalupe Franciscan Province) Crystal Mission (Navajo), Crystal, Navajo Reservation, New Mexico

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans: The St. John the Baptist Province transferred the bulk of these records to the University of Arizona Library, Special Collections. However, the province may still hold some related general correspondence and reports plus the personnel files of members who participated in these missions, parishes, and schools.

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

New2006/rev2017

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives