Where can I get X-Win32?
X-Win32 software can be checked out from CU340 for on campus use. For off campus use X-Win32 can be purchased from Starnet.
How do I configure X-Win32 using XDMCP mode?
XDMCP mode can be used when you are in MSCS network or you have obtained a valid Marquette Network IP using VPN.
- After installing the x-win32 software go to start -> programs -> x-win32 8.1 and select x-Config from the menu. You should see a window similar to this.
- Under the New Sessions tab click Manual. The connection method screen will then appear.
- Select XDMCP for the connection method and click Next. You will see the window below prompting you to set up a new XDMCP session.
Input the settings as shown below and click Save.
- To add a shortcut icon to the desktop select mscs under the Sessions tab and click Create Shortcut. Click OK to exit x-win32 config.
NOTE: XP users if you still cannot connect to pascal, you probably have the internal firewall enabled and need to follow the steps below.
How do I configure Windows XP firewall for X-Win32?
- Go to start -> control panel -> network connections.
- Right click Local Area Connection, select properties and choose the Advanced tab.
- Either the firewall can be disabled by unchecking the internet connection firewall box or a port can be set up to establish a connection to pascal through the firewall. To open a port click Settings.
- Under the Services tab, select Add.
- Input the settings shown above and click OK.
- The newly created XDMCP port should then be displayed under the Services tab. To exit select OK for this and the following window.
How do I configure X-Win32 using SSH mode?
SSH mode can be used when you are outside of MSCS network.
- Under the New Sessions tab click Manual. The connection method screen will then appear. Select StarNetSSH for the connection method and click Next.
- You will see the window below prompting you to set up a new StarMetSSJ session. Input the settings as example shown below and click Save. (Login is your pascal account login name)
- Under the Advanced tab, select Switch to Single for Window Mode and click Save.
- Go back to Sessions tab, select mscs_ssh, then click lauch, the following screen will appear. Type in te command line /usr/dt/bin/dtsession &. After the desktop environment is shown, minimize the xterm window.
- When you are about to leave, type in exit under xterm window.
- Close every window on your desktop, log out and close the X-Win32 window.
How do I connect from home using a router?
First, you need to make sure port forwarding is enabled on the router to send all packets to port 6000 on your computer. Different routers have different methods to accomplish this. For example, if you have a wireless 2.4G Linksys router, you can launch the administration page by pointing to http://192.168.1.1, click Advanced, then IP Forwarding, then forward port 6000 to your computer. Check the instruction manual for your router on how to do this.
Second, you need to set up the display. Go to X-Config, located under X-Win32 in the start -> programs menu, click on Display and choose proxy. A window will pop up asking for the proxy IP address, which is the public address of your router. To find the public address of your router, go to the find your IP address website.
If the above steps are done correctly you should be able to successfully connect to pascal.