— April 17, 2007—
Special Safety Alert
Two separate off-campus robberies have been reported to the Marquette University Department of Public Safety and the Milwaukee Police Department. The robberies occurred within the 900 block of North 14th Street between 11 p.m. and midnight. During both incidents, a male subject with a knife approached the victims, who were Marquette students, and demanded personal property. None of the victims was physically injured. Marquette Public Safety and Milwaukee Police Department officers were contacted and immediately responded to both incidents. After the second incident, Marquette Public Safety detained one suspect matching the description given by the victims. The suspect was arrested by the Milwaukee Police Department on outstanding warrants but has not been charged with the robbery.
Public Safety reminds community members to remain diligent in increasing personal safety measures and utilizing Public Safety’s programs and services. Additionally, Public Safety suggests the following:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- At night, walk in groups. Make sure your friends don’t walk or jog alone.
- Use the LIMO vans and Student Safety escorts. At Marquette, there is no reason for anyone to walk alone.
- Know the locations of blue light phones. The phones offer direct lines to Public Safety 24 hours a day. There are nearly 200 phones in the campus area.
- Contact Public Safety if you observe suspicious people or vehicles in your area.
- If someone whom you do not feel comfortable being near approaches you, quickly walk away. Go to a residence hall, an open business or the Public Safety office in Parking Structure 1 on North 16th St. Call Public Safety at (414) 288-6800 (x8-6800 on campus).
- At home, keep exterior doors locked at all times.
- Park in well-lighted areas, put valuables in your trunk and lock your car.
- If you are coming home alone, call ahead and have someone watch for you.
If you have safety questions or concerns at any time, call the Public Safety Department at (414) 288-6800 (x8-6800 on campus).
Briefs is published Mondays and Thursdays, except in summer when only the Monday edition is published, and as news warrants by the Office of Marketing and Communication
for Marquette students, faculty and staff. The deadline for the Monday edition is noon Friday. The deadline for the Thursday edition is noon Wednesday.
Questions? Is there news you would like to share? E-mail,
call 8-6712, fax 8-7197 or send your note in campus
mail to News Briefs,
Office of Marketing and Communication.