— November 19, 2007 —
- Business Plan Competition accepting entries
- SAS Education Analytic Suite licenses available for faculty
- Tell us about interesting December graduates
- News Briefs newsletter takes Thanksgiving break
- Thanksgiving weekend hours for the Help Desk
- Column marshals needed for December graduation
- Items collected for troops in Iraq
- Sign up for Easy Pass
- Marquette Interchange highlights for the week of Nov. 19
1. Business Plan Competition accepting entries
The Marquette University Kohler Center for Entrepreneurship is now accepting submissions for the 2008 Business Plan Competition. Faculty, staff and alumni are invited to submit new business proposals to compete for prizes. Only one member of each team needs to be affiliated with Marquette.
The submission deadline is Monday, Dec. 10, at 5 p.m. An information session will be held Monday, Nov. 26, at 6 p.m. in Straz Hall 265.
Participants in the competition will learn about developing a successful business plan and have the opportunity to network with fellow entrepreneurs from the Marquette community. Plans that are chosen as semi-finalists will receive advising from Milwaukee entrepreneurs and angel investors in preparation for the Governor’s Business Plan Competition.
The registration fee is $25 for undergraduate teams and $50 for all other teams. More information is available online.
2. SAS Education Analytic Suite licenses available for faculty
IT Services has a limited number of SAS Education Analytic Suite software licenses available for faculty use. The license allows for the software to be used for classroom instruction and coursework related to the institution’s post-secondary degree requirements, including research for the formulation of theses and dissertations. Use of the software must remain non-commercial in nature. Contact the IT Services Help Desk at 8-7799 for more information.
3. Tell us about interesting December graduates
The Office of Marketing and Communication is seeking stories about December 2007 graduates who overcame substantial obstacles in getting their degree, graduates who will be doing something unusual after graduation, a student with straight A’s, or anything else of interest. E-mail with your ideas.
4. News Briefs newsletter takes Thanksgiving break
Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, News Briefs will not be distributed Thursday, Nov. 22. It will resume Monday, Nov. 26.
5. Thanksgiving weekend hours for the Help Desk
The Help Desk will be open Wednesday, Nov. 21, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and closed from Thursday, Nov. 22, through Sunday, Nov. 25. It will resume normal hours Monday, Nov. 26.
Back to Top
6. Column marshals needed for December graduation
Faculty and staff are needed to serve as column marshals for December graduation Sunday, Dec. 16, at 9:30 a.m. at the U.S. Cellular Arena, 400 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Column marshals lead the graduates, faculty and stage party into the arena and escort them out following the ceremony. Column marshals are needed at the arena from 8:30 a.m. to about 11:30 a.m.
For more information, contact University Special Events at 8-7431
7. Items collected for troops in Iraq
Delta Chi fraternity will collect common items like floss, shaving cream, deodorant, beef jerky, canned pasta, DVDs and magazines for "Operation: Wish List" for troops serving in Iraq. Cash donations will also be accepted and used to purchase additional items. Donations will be collected Tuesday, Nov. 20, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the second floor of the AMU. All items donated will be sent to members of the 101st Airborne stationed in Baghdad.
A Marquette University banner, which will be sent to the troops to show support and appreciation, can also be signed.
For more information, contact Ernest Echols.
8. Sign up for Easy Pass
With the high price of gas, the Easy Pass payroll deduction program can be an attractive option for faculty and staff to get to campus. The Easy Pass offers unlimited rides, including Freeway Flyers and special event shuttles to the Bradley Center, Miller Park and other locations.
The program costs $208 per quarter and can be deducted before taxes to save money. Sign up for the Easy Pass program in Union Station, on the first floor of the AMU, for passes that will be good during January, February and March 2008.
Sign up between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. before Wednesday, Dec. 12. Those who wish to drop must also do so in Union Station by Dec. 12.
9. Marquette Interchange highlights for the week of Nov. 19
• It will be a light couple of weeks for construction activities due to the Thanksgiving holiday and deer hunting.
• The Tory Hill pedestrian route and pedestrian access across Clybourn at 13th Street are closed since they are in active work zones and unsafe for pedestrians.
• The remodeled Milwaukee Intermodal Station at 5th and St. Paul will officially open Nov. 26. The exit ramps from eastbound I-794 to W. James Lovell St. and W. St. Paul Ave. are now open to traffic. This exit takes traffic east and west on St. Paul, north on Lovell and southbound to 6th Street access.
• By Thanksgiving, all of the bridge beams should be in place over Tory Hill. There will be eight segments of the Interchange crossing Tory Hill between 10th and 11th streets — six over, one under and one at-grade.
News Briefs is published for Marquette faculty and staff every Monday and Thursday, except during summer and academic breaks when only the Monday edition is published. The deadline for the Monday edition is noon Friday. The deadline for the Thursday edition is noon Wednesday. Highest priority notices as determined by university leadership are also sent periodically.
To comment, ask a question or submit news to share, e-mail, call 8-6712 or send your note in campus mail to News Briefs, Office of Marketing and Communication. Please review the submission guidelines before sending news items.