— January 4, 2007 —
- Vote for Marquette legends
- Discounted tickets available for Men’s Basketball Jan. 13
- Three-pack tickets for Women's Basketball just $10
1. Vote for Marquette legends
Help recognize Marquette’s role in Milwaukee history by voting for local legends as part of the city’s birthday.
The Milwaukee Press Club has produced a list of candidates who were either born in Milwaukee or “made their mark” in the city. The public is invited to vote for their favorites from among the 99 entries. Selections will be celebrated at the 161st Birthday Party for the City of Milwaukee on Wednesday, Jan. 31, at the Milwaukee Public Museum, beginning at 5:30 p.m.
“Legends” listed with Marquette University connections include:
• Les Aspin (U.S. Congressman and the inspiration for Marquette’s Les Aspin Center for Government)
• Chris Farley (Marquette University alumnus, best known for his work on “Saturday Night Live”)
• Jacques Marquette (17th-century French, Jesuit missionary-explorer, Marquette’s namesake and considered the co-founder of Milwaukee)
• Al McGuire (Marquette’s legendary men’s basketball coach from 1964 to 1977, when Marquette won the NCAA championship in his final game as coach)
• George Reedy (Lucius Nieman Chair and professor of journalism at Marquette from 1972 to 1991; press secretary to President Lyndon Johnson)
For more information and to cast your vote, visit online.
2. Discounted tickets available for men’s basketball on Jan. 13
Discounted tickets to the Men’s Basketball game on Saturday, Jan. 13, against West Virginia are now available to employees. Tickets normally priced at $15 are $10, and $9 tickets are just $5. Game time is 11 a.m.
To purchase tickets, visit on-line.
3. Three-pack tickets for women's basketball just $10
Three-pack tickets for upcoming games for the nationally ranked Women’s Basketball team are available for just $10. Tickets for individual games start at only $4, but the $10 three-pack includes U-Conn, Villanova and Notre Dame games.
Saturday, Jan. 13 — vs. Villanova Wildcats. Wear pink in the fight against breast cancer. The first 2,000 fans will receive a pink breast cancer awareness bracelet.
Tuesday, Jan. 23 — vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Wear gold and receive a free bag of popcorn.
Saturday, Feb. 3 — vs. UConn Huskies. The first 4,000 fans will receive a Terri Mitchell bobble-head.
Visit online or call 8-4668 for more information.
Briefs is published Mondays and Thursdays, except in summer when only the Monday edition is published, and as news warrants by the Office of Marketing and Communication
for Marquette faculty and staff. The deadline for the Monday edition is noon Friday. The deadline for the Thursday edition is noon Wednesday.
Questions? Is there news you would like to share? E-mail,
call 8-7448, fax 8-7197 or send your note in campus
mail to News Briefs,
Office of Marketing and Communication.