The registration deadline for New Folks Convocation is today, Aug. 10.
All faculty, staff and administrators hired after Aug. 18, 2008, are invited to convocation on Monday, Aug. 24. The program begins with registration at 8 a.m. in the AMU Lynch Lounge and concludes with a wine and cheese reception at the Jesuit Residence.
The day-long program is designed to give newer employees a greater understanding of Marquette University and its values as a Catholic, Jesuit University. The program is sponsored by the Office of Mission and Identity.
Register with University Special Events at 8-7431.
Honors Program course proposals from all disciplines and colleges are due Friday, Oct. 2. The Honors Program encourages intellectual experimentation and faculty to try courses they’ve always wanted to teach.
One particular area of need is HOPR 3955 — the Honors Undergraduate Research Opportunity. The course is intended to provide honors students with an opportunity to conduct an original research project with a faculty member and write up and disseminate findings.
For more information or a copy of the proposal invitation, e-mail Maria Cooper, assistant director of the Honors Program.
In its ongoing efforts to improve and test its emergency response procedures, Marquette will conduct a critical incident management drill Monday, Aug. 17, from roughly 9 a.m. to noon.
Although the incident will not affect the daily operations of the university, employees, students and visitors could observe actions related to the drill. Employees from a number of departments have been notified that they will be involved in responding to the simulated crisis, the nature of which is unknown to them.
Marquette community members are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the university’s emergency response procedures. For more information, contact Department of Public Safety at 8-6800.
Twenty-three faculty, staff and administrators have been appointed as members of the new University Wellness Implementation Committee that was established by the Office of the Provost earlier this year. The committee will be chaired by Dr. Paula Papanek, associate professor of exercise science. Vice chair is Mandi Weis, employee wellness coordinator.
Committee members appointed by their respective dean or vice president to three-year terms, and the college or division they represent, are:
• Martty Berner, College of Nursing
• Jessica Bulgrin, College of Engineering
• Carol Dufek, Law School
• Melissa Genrich, College of Education
• Sara Harvey, Office of University Advancement
• Martha Jerme, Raynor Memorial Libraries
• Jeremy Johnson, Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
• Brigid Kinsella-Alba, Office of University Mission and Identity
• Kathryn Lenci, Graduate School
• Steve McCauley, Human Resources/Office of General Counsel
• Amy Melichar, Office of Student Affairs
• Gwenyth Murphy, Office of Finance
• Kim Newman, Office of the Provost
• Tim Olsen, Office of Marketing and Communication
• Faye Otero, Office of General Counsel
• Patricia Psuik, Helen Way Klingler College of Arts and Sciences
• Mary Semanko, Dental School
• Dr. Christopher Simenz, College of Health Sciences
• John Sweeney, Office of Student Affairs
• Nicole Truog, College of Business Administration
• Tracey Weigel, College of Communication
• Sandi Waldschmidt, College of Professional Studies
• Jill Weisensel, Office of Administration
The committee will start meeting later this month and will be responsible for planning, implementing and promoting wellness activities and programs based on information such as surveys and aggregate health risk appraisal data. Goals include a healthier workforce and containing medical and insurance costs for employees.
A D2L training session for faculty will be held Monday, Aug. 17, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Raynor 320H.
D2L users should be sure they are using a supported browser. Information about issues with Internet Explorer 8 is available online. Advance registration is required.
Additional sessions will be held in Raynor 320H:
• Wednesday, Sept 23, 9 a.m. to noon
• Wednesday, Oct. 21, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
• Monday, Nov. 16, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
The News Briefs e-newsletter will begin its twice-a-week publication schedule for the academic year beginning Thursday, Aug. 13. The deadlines to submit articles remain at noon Friday for Monday editions and noon Wednesday for Thursday editions.
The Office of Disability Services has moved to Marquette Hall 005. Elevators are accessed through the doors in the south-east corner of the building.
For more information or to make an appointment, email email@example.com call 8-1645. .
Beginning Monday, Aug. 17, the entire Union Sports Annex will go smoke-free until 9 p.m. daily. The change has been made to will allow evening diners to enjoy a smoke-free environment while using the restaurant, bowling center and court.