- The participant is a registered nurse with a current license or a student in a baccalaureate nursing education program. In the future, a baccalaureate degree in nursing will be required for certification in this specialized practice.
- Parish nursing is considered a calling in which ministry shapes the practice.
- The practice of parish nursing requires specialized knowledge and skills.
- The practice of parish nursing encourages a partnership model between parish nurses, individuals, families, congregations, and communities across the life span.
- Parish nursing contributes to the health of the faith community.
- Parish nursing values the Scope and Standards of Faith Community Nursing Practice (ANA, 2005) in the United States; parish nurses in other countries are accountable to their own specific professional standards of practice.