Required Application Materials

Secondary school internal academic records:

These are evaluations of your ability from your own school. Your school may call these transcripts, mark sheets, term reports, etc. If you are still attending secondary school, please send us the internal records presently available. We must receive official copies of this document from each school attended.

Secondary school external academic records:

These are evaluations of your ability from a testing authority outside the control of your own school such as a regional, national or international testing authority. These exams are typically taken towards the end of secondary school.

Examples are the GCSE, IGCSE, British AS/A levels, HKDSE, IB, WASC, EACE, SPM, Maturity Certificate, SMU (SMA), Bachillerato, NCEE, SSCE, ISC and State Board exam results. We must receive official copies of these results when available.

SAT or ACT results:

Only required from freshmen students graduating from secondary schools that use a U.S. curriculum.

In general, SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Math scores should each be 530 or higher. ACT subject scores should be 22 or higher. To take the ACT contact For SAT contact Marquette's SAT code is 1448; the ACT code is 4610.

Post-secondary academic records

For every post-secondary school attended, you must submit:

  • Internal academic records. An official copy indicating grades for each subject in each term of completed studies. (Records for in-progress and future records must be sent as soon as available.)
  • Chinese university transcripts must be verified by the China Academic Degree and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC), and the verification report must be sent to Marquette directly from the CDGDC. The verification report (认证报告) must include all courses completed at the time you submit your Marquette application. Any courses completed after submitting your Marquette application must also be verified by CDGDC, and the report (认证报告) must be received before beginning courses at Marquette.
  • Post-secondary external examination results if a part of your post-secondary studies.
  • Syllabi or course descriptions for each course/subject translated into English. (Scanned copies are acceptable.)
  • Contact Hours: We need to know a) the number of hours of instruction per week and b) the number of weeks in a term for each course/subject.

Evidence of English language ability

If English is not your native language, please arrange for us to receive ONE or more of the following:

  • Official TOEFL score with section scores of at least – Reading: 18, Listening: 18, Speaking: 20, Writing: 20
  • Official IELTS score with section scores of at least – Reading: 6.5, Listening: 6.5, Speaking: 6.5, Writing: 6.0.
  • Evidence of successful completion of a partner ESL program:

    • ELS Language Center – completion of levels 110-112 with a cumulative 3.0 average
    • WESLI completion of levels 600 and 700 with a cumulative B average, and also a B or above in both 700 Listening/Speaking and 700 Reading/Writing courses
  • Academic records from U.S. secondary or post-secondary studies showing extensive achievement (typically at least 4 semesters) in a wide range of subjects
  • Official SAT exam with Evidence-Based Reading score of at least 530
  • Official ACT exam with English score of at least 22 and Reading score of at least 18

Conditional admission to Marquette is available to applicants if all required application materials, except English language evidence, have been received and are satisfactory. Requests for conditional admission should be communicated to the Office of International Education when submitting other application materials.

You cannot complete intensive English studies at Marquette.

Evidence of financial ability

Students who will study with an I-20/F-1 visa or DS-2019/J-1 visa must verify the amount and source of their funding. The preferred evidence is an original Financial Sponsorship Form accompanied by a current bank statement from the financial sponsor.

Students with government sponsorship can also provide a letter of support from their government.

General Definitions

Secondary studies: Usually completed after 10, 11 or 12 years of formal study at age 17 or 18 depending upon the education system. In most countries, the final three, four, or five of those years are called secondary studies.

Post-secondary studies: Formal academic study after secondary school, for example university or college. If your secondary system requires 13 years of formal study, we may consider the 13th year to be post-secondary.

Official records: To be official, a document must have upon it an appropriate fresh ink printing, signature, stamp or raised seal to certify that its content is true. Uploads from Docufide, Naviance and the Common App are also official.

If schools or other education agencies in your country will issue only one original document, you may submit a photocopy or scanned copy of the original document with the fresh certification placed upon that copy by the appropriate official.

Photocopies without an original certification, scanned copies, email attachments, and faxes are not official documents.