Marquette University has implemented a policy for conducting online surveys that helps minimize the occurrence of survey fatigue, improve the integrity of Marquette data and communication, reduce oversampling Marquette students, employees and alumni and increase survey response rates. The Online Survey Review Group
at Marquette reviews and schedules online surveys conducted with Marquette students, employees, or alumni in accordance with UPP-1-22: the Online Survey Policy.
Surveys with 100 or more total Marquette students, employees, or alumni as participants must be approved in advance, unless they meet one of the following exceptions:
Submitting surveys for review
- Surveys/evaluations sent only to persons who have used a given service or office or attended a specific program/event AND for which the author already has the email contact AND for which no invitations are sent to non-users or non-participants
- Institutional elections (e.g. MUSG, University Academic Senate)
- Academic research conducted by faculty or students and online surveys conducted by students as part of an official course assignment are subject to the policy ONLY if the projects involve soliciting 100 or more Marquette students, employees, or alumni as participants.
The checklist of items to submit when completing an online survey request includes:
- Completed Online Survey Request Form
- Final version of the online survey instrument to be used
- All e-mail invitations and reminders to be used
- For surveys that require Institutional Review Board approval: documentation from the Marquette IRB indicating either that the project has been approved or has been submitted to the IRB and is undergoing review.
Formal review of request may take up to two weeks once all materials are received.
For additional information or assistance, email the chair
of the Online Survey Review Group.
Online Survey Review Group resources