PUBLIC SAFETY ALERT – Thursday, May 2, 2013
At 7:45 p.m., the Department of Public Safety was alerted that a Marquette student was the victim ofa robbery that occurred at 6:46 p.m. on the northeast corner of 18th Street and W. Wisconsin Ave.There were no injuries andDPS immediately contacted the Milwaukee Police Department. The suspect, who implied a weapon, fled on foot.
If a person fitting the description below is sighted on campus, contact DPS at (414) 288-6800.
DESCRIPTION of Suspect:
Race: African American
Weight: Approx. 180 lbs.
Hair: Short, dark
Height: 6'3" or 6'4"
Eyes: Not provided
Last seen wearing- A black jacket with a black hood and black jeans
Please share the information contained in this crime alert with other people on campus who may not have seen it. All Marquette students, staffs, guests and visitors are reminded to:
- Walk in pairs or groups, being aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Use the LIMO and safety patrol services provided by DPS. Call 8-6363 for SSP escorts.
- During evening hours watch for the LIMO with strobe lights patrolling the perimeters of campus; the driver may ask if you want a ride or want to request a walking escort.
- Make sure someone knows when you leave and when to expect you back.
- Do not become distracted by talking on your cell phone or listening to music through headphones at a high volume.
- Travel on well-lit, busy streets and avoid walking through alleys and parking lots.
- Be aware of places along your path of travel that could conceal a criminal (shrubbery, building recesses, etc.). Avoid or keep a distance from these areas whenever possible.
- Take note of suspicious vehicles, especially those that appear to be circling the block or driving unusually slow. If you observe a suspicious vehicle, relay its description and location to DPS using one of the more than 300 blue light phones on and near campus.
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street, head for a well-populated, well-lit area and contact DPS using one of the more than 300 blue light phones on and near campus.
- If you plan to drink, do so in moderation to avoid putting yourself in a position of increased risk.
- If approached, give up your property.