Training and Education
The human subjects research training course "Protecting Human Research Participants," sponsored by the NIH Office of Extramural Research, or equivalent training (i.e. CITI), is required prior to IRB approval whether your protocol
is exempt, expedited or full review. This requirement applies to Marquette University faculty, staff and student researchers. This training tutorial takes
2 hours to complete.
NEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMISSION:
1. Complete the training and obtain the Certificate of Completion. The training can be accessed here.
2. Format your Certificate of Completion using one of the methods below:
- Print the certificate as a PDF file (For computers with a full version of Adobe choose Print>Printer>Adobe PDF). Save the file as indicated below.
- Copy and paste the certificate into a Word Document
***For either option save the document as Last Name First Name
(for example John Smith would save the document as Smith John)
3. Email the certificate as an attachment to email@example.com.
For CITI or equivalent training certificates please follow the same procedures.
NIH does not communicate training completion to Marquette University; your certificate must be submitted directly to the ORC using the instructions above. The ORC keeps your training record on file, therefore resubmission for subsequent protocols is not required.
ADDITIONAL TRAINING MATERIALS FOR RESEARCH SUBJECTS:
The Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) offers pamphlets titled, "Becoming a Volunteer: It's Your Decision." These pamphlets are available in both English and Spanish. Contact Marquette University's Office of Research Compliance if you would like a hard copy of this pamphlet. If you would like an electronic copy, follow the links below.
Becoming a Research Volunteer: It's Your Decision (PDF)- Follow this link to access the document
Becoming a Research Volunteer: It’s Your Decision (in Spanish) (PDF)- Follow this link to access the document