Fire Safety Emergency Procedures
- Upon discovering a fire, explosion or smoke in the building, activate the fire
alarm system by pulling the nearest fire alarm.
- Call Public Safety at x8-1911 (288-1911 off campus) and be prepared to provide:
- Building name
- Location of fire/smoke
- Type of incident (chemicals present, etc.)
- Do not use elevators during a fire emergency.
- When a fire alarm sounds, evacuation is required. Walk, do not run, to the
nearest stairway exit and proceed to the ground level. If a stairway contains
smoke, use an alternate stairway exit. If possible, close doors and windows as
you leave. The alarm may not sound continuously in your building. If
the alarm stops, continue the evacuation and keep others from entering.
- After exiting move at least 100 feet from the building, leaving the drives and
walkways open for emergency personnel. Do not return to the building
until directed to do so by Public Safety officers or fire department personnel.
Persons with disabilities who are unable to move away from the building
should request assistance from emergency personnel.
- Notify firefighters on the scene if you suspect someone may be trapped inside
- Public Safety officers will work with the responding fire department
personnel to provide access to any affected areas.
- Report potential hazards or refer fire prevention questions to Marquette’s
Office of Environmental Health and Safety at x8-8411 (288-8411 off campus).
Note: Only trained personnel should use fire extinguishers. Your safety is more
important than property damage. Individuals should leave the area and allow
trained emergency personnel to extinguish fires.
Training and Resources