Captain Ryan T. Ostler is the Operations Flight Commander, Air Force ROTC Detachment 930, at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. He is tasked to recruit, educate, train, motivate, select and commission officer candidates through a comprehensive college program. He provides academic instruction on fundamental Air Force doctrine, practical leadership experience, and extensive field training emphasizing physical fitness and officership to prepare future officers for active duty. Additionally, Capt. Ostler oversees the entire cadet corps through the Leadership Laboratory course and teaches the Introduction to the USAF course
Captain Ostler is a 2011 graduate of Air Force Technical Institute. He enlisted in the Air Force in 1998 as a computer systems programmer where he attained the rank of Staff Sergeant before being accepted into the Airman’s Education and Commissioning Program. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2005 earning his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps. He has deployed as the Deputy Commander of 409 Air Expeditionary Group Detachment 1. He has served in numerous cyber operation positions including Computer Network Exploitation Analyst at the National Security Agency and as Deputy Flight Commander in the 67th Operational Support Squadron. Captain Ostler has also served in positions leading network administration and security.
Awards & Decorations
- Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Good Conduct Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- National Defense Service Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- October 1998 – December 1998, trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, TX.
- December 1998 – March 1999, student, computer systems programming, Keesler AFB, MS.
- March 1999 – May 2002, Financial Systems Programmer, HQ Standard Systems Group, Gunter Annex, AL.
- May 2002 – May 2005, AFROTC, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI.
- May 2005 – March 2006, Crew Commander, HQ AETC NOSC, Randolph AFB, TX
- March 2006 – March 2007, Chief of Network Administration, HQ AETC, Randolph AFB, TX
- March 2007 – April 2008, Executive Officer, 690 Network Support Group, Lackland AFB, TX.
- April 2008 - May 2009, Deputy Flight Commander, 67 Operational Support Squadron, Lackland AFB, TX.
- May 2009 – July 2009, Digital Forensics Analyst, 33 Network Warfare Squadron, Lackland AFB, TX.
- July 2009 – July 2011, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
- July 2011 – February 2012, Signals Intelligence Directorate Senior Officer Manager, National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, MD.
- February 2012 – July 2012, Deputy Detachment Commander, 409 Air Expeditionary Group, Seychelles
- July 2012 – July 2014, Flight Commander and Computer Network Exploitation Analyst, National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, MD.
- July 2014 – present, Operations Officer, Air Force ROTC Detachment 930, Milwaukee, WI.
- 2005 Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI.
- 2006 Air and Space Basics Course, Maxwell AFB, AL
- 2011 Master’s degree in Cyber Operations, Air Force Technical Institute, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
- Second Lieutenant, May 15, 2005
- First Lieutenant, May 15, 2007
- Captain, May 15, 2009