Course Learning Objectives that are related to Service Learning:
1. Understand that social welfare and justice involves complex interactions between the individual, the small group, and the society.
2. Recognize stated and unstated values and assumptions lying behind American social welfare and justice policies.
3. Understand the critical contributions of non-profit organizations to social welfare and justice, as well as how non-profits are organized and funded.
4. Recognize gaps in the safety net under current U.S. social welfare and justice programs.
5. Identify how your personal and cultural presuppositions have influenced your attitudes towards and perspectives on persons who are different from you.
6. Identify how your personal and cultural presuppositions have influenced your perspectives on social welfare and justice.
7. Become sensitized to the need to observe, understand, and reflect upon human experiences from multiple perspectives.
8. Recognize that respecting your own perspectives as well as those of others is critical to effective social welfare and justice work.