Course and site listing for Louise Cainkar
SOWJ 1001: Introduction to Social Welfare and Justice
Course Learning Objectives that are related to Service Learning:
- Identify various issues of social justice and inequality encountered by the Milwaukee community
- Understand the difference between charity and justice
- Apply systems theory to work in the community
- Identify the impact of generational poverty on community members
- Identify community assets
- Understand and know the policies, laws, programs, agencies, and welfare systems that exist which either support or hinder the empowerment of at-risk populations
- Reflect upon personal vocation, values, and privileges in a social justice context
- Demonstrate an improved appreciation and awareness for diverse populations
- Understand how race, social class, sexual orientation, religion and gender all intersect and create power dynamics within the community.
- Identify root causes of injustice
- Identify micro/macro/mezzo level interventions that could positively impact and empower the population and community.