St. Anthony School
Address: 1747 S. 9th Street
Transportation: Take any eastbound bus toward downtown (#10,12,14,30). Get off at 6th and Wisconsin Ave. Take the #80 bus south to S. 6th and Mitchell St. Walk west for three blocks on Mitchell St. Turn left onto 9th St. St. Anthony School is located in the middle of the block.
Approximate Travel Time by Car: 10 minutes
Approximate Travel Time by Bus: 25 minutes
Orientation: Tuesday, February 9th at 4:00-5:00 pm OR Wednesday February 10th at 8:00-9:00 am
Days/Hours of Operation:
- 5th Grade Assistant Monday 8:00-10:00am
- 5th Grade Assistant Tuesday 8:00-10:00 am
- 5th Grade Assistant Wednesday 8:00-10:00am
- 5th Grade Assistant come twice a week 8:00-9:00am (Monday-Thursday)
- Homework Help Tutor: Monday 3:30 pm-5:00pm
- Homework Help Tutor: Tuesday 3:30 pm-5:00pm
- Homework Help Tutor: Wednesday 3:30pm-5:00pm
- Daycare Helper 3:30-5:30pm Monday
- Daycare Helper 3:30-5:30pm Tuesday
- Daycare Helper 3:30-5:30pm Wednesday
- Daycare Helper 2:00pm-4:00 Thursday
- Daycare Helper 3:00pm-5:00 Thursday
- Daycare Helper 3:30-5:30pm Thursday
- Daycare Helper 3:30-5:30pm Friday
Description of Agency/Activities:
St. Anthony School has been educating children for nearly 140 years is and is committed to developing literate, productive Catholic leaders for the Church and society. St. Anthony School is currently the largest Catholic grade school in the United States, serving approximately 1,700 students on the Milwaukee’s south-side. St. Anthony is an English immersion school as 99 percent of the student population is Hispanic and speaks English as a second language. In addition, 99 percent of the students at St. Anthony qualify for the free and reduced lunch program.
Student Role in Agency:
- 5th Grade Reading Assistant: Service learners will assist in 5th grade classes with reading and/or math. Duties include working with students in the classroom, reading with students, helping students with math and organizing supplies.
- Homework Help Tutor: Service learners will assist 4th-5th grade students with homework and listen to them read
- Daycare Helper: Service learners will assist in the daycare program (3rd-5th grade students) that need help with homework, socializing, and doing enrichment activities.
Commitment: Mandatory orientation at the site for 1 hour and two hours per week for the duration of the semester.
- Since Service Learners will be working directly with St. Anthony students, it is required that volunteers be outgoing and personable, show initiative, and enjoy interacting with students of all ages. They need to own their placement and work to make it a good fit by sharing feedback and being proactive.
- Students must complete a St. Anthony volunteer application, complete a Safe Environment Training (details provided at Sign Up night) and provide certificate at orientation, and a background check form before starting service (available at Sign-Up night).