Hephatha Lutheran Church
Hephatha Lutheran Church
Contact: Pastor Mary Martha Kannass
Phone: (414) 264-0234
Address: 1720 W Locust St, Milwaukee,WI 53206
- Estimated time by car: 10 mins
- Estimated time by bus: 25 mins
Take the #12 bus north at 12th and Wisconsin. Disembark at Teutonia and Locust. Walk 2 blocks west on Locust to 18th and Locust.
Days/Hours of Volunteering: To be determined at Sign Up Night Jan. 25
Description of Agency/Activities: Hephatha is an Evangelical Lutheran Church with a close-knit faith community. Located in an impoverished neighborhood, Hephatha’s parishioners and volunteers provide many services to the local community including meals, social services, and health services, among others. Hephatha partners with many local agencies such as Repairers of the Breach to help meet the needs of the community. Parishioners are very warm and welcoming.
Student Role in Agency:
- Sunday morning option weekly: Attend church service at 9:00 a.m. and then participate in the teen or adult Sunday School class for mutual learning followed by lunch--serve by being a college presence with the community and by modeling the importance of Christian education as part of our walk of faith. Be part of a team that does a 20 minute clean-up after lunch and learn to know several others who serve in this way each week.
- Tuesday afternoon option weekly: Each Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. Hephatha leads Scripture and prayer time at Repairers of the Breach day shelter (sessions are one hour in length). Join as part of the team in ministry with those who are homeless. Repairers of the Breach is located at 1335 W Vliet Street.
- MICAH Core Team Meeting: Held the fourth Thursday of the month from 5-6 p.m. at Hephatha.Work on justice issues and on building holy ground in the neighborhood.Meet with neighbors from the corner store, the local public school and the Dominican Center for Women as they combine efforts to serve the community.
- 11 x 15 meetings: Once a month, a task force meets to address the goals of the 11 x 15 prison population reduction plan led by Hephatha member Pastor Joe Ellwanger (retired from 40 years of parish ministry, including ministry in Alabama with Dr. King).Join in the task force from 5:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. the second Wednesday of the month and help convene a Hephatha sub-group for deepening of leadership on the work of this effort to reduce the WI prison population from 22,000 to 11,000 by the year 2015.Meet and work with Pastor Ellwanger, a well-known justice advocate in the Milwaukee community.
Commitment/Requirements: Students can pick EITHER the weekly Sunday morning option OR the weekly Tuesdays at Repairers of the Breach PLUS the monthly MICAH core team meetings PLUS the 11x15 monthly meetings. Must be able to attend these meetings to keep your hour commitment to the agency and the community.