My tutoring goals for the 2017-2018 year:
- I want to encourage individuals, at any level of their academic careers, to regularly use the Writing Center with their work. During my appointments with students, I will ask if they would like to schedule a follow-up appointment and I will have Writing Center business cards with my hours to encourage return conferences.
- I will encourage graduate students to visit the Writing Center. I will accomplish this by talking about the Writing Center at departmental and graduate student events. I will continue to promote the graduate student writing group and hopefully create an infrastructure to assist with writing for as many of the graduate disciplines at Marquette University
- I want to continue with history outreach through class visits and workshops, to benefit not only my department but also students that are writing in the history genre. Creating support for history students, who are often asked to write quite a bit, will best allow them to thrive in the genre.
- I plan on leading, not directing, my writing conferences. My goal is to be attentive and ask thoughtful questions that allow the student to arrive at answers and finesses their writing process. I will not discuss what I would do or what I believe should be present in their work. My role as a writing tutor is to support the writer’s decisions and make the logic behind their work clear, not impose my will.
- I will take advantage of the services provided by the Writing Center to improve my own writing and schedule weekly appointments for my own work.
1250 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Phone: (800) 222-6544