Study abroad


Pre-departure Links


Before entering your host country, you will be required to obtain certain travel documents. Other documents are useful but not required.


Passport (required)

All U.S. citizens must have a passport to travel outside the United States. If you plan to study abroad during your time at Marquette, we recommend applying for your passport Freshman year. Passports obtained after eighteen (18) years of age are usually valid for 10 years, so getting a passport is an investment! Passports are also required for visa application processes, which take place the semester before you go abroad. Once you've applied fo your passport, processing and delivery of your physical passport can six (6) weeks. Plan ahead and apply early. Information about obtaining a passport can be found on the United States Department of State's website.

Visa (required)

A visa is official permission to enter and stay in a specific country, with a specific purpose, for a specific timeframe. The exact name for a visa can vary by country but may be something like: student visa, study permit, or permit to stay. A visa normally comes in the form of a sticker or stamp that is placed inside your physical passport. Often you must apply for, and obtain, your study visa in the U.S. prior to going abroad. Sometimes, you'll simply get a stamp in your passport at the airport upon arrival in your host country. Almost all countries require you to obtain a visa as part of their entry requirements.

Marquette students are responsible for obtaining their own visas. In some cases, OIE is allowed to facilitate some or all of the visa application process. In almost all cases, students will need to apply for a visa through the nearest consulate of your desitination country. Country consulate offices are located in larger U.S. cities, and most countries have a consulate in Chicago. Visas can take four to six weeks for processing so, again, it's important to apply for a passport early as the visa will be adhered inside of your passport.

The visa application process can be very sensitive. Therefore, we advise you to find out well in advance which documents you will need to submit, when and how (online, in person, via regular post mail.) Each consulate sets its own regulations for visa applications. Some consulates will allow you to apply via mail, and others will require you to appear in person. We advise you to read the information and follow instructions carefully. Country-specific visa guidelines are available on our site.

For more information, please visit the United States Department of State's website or contact your host country's consulate in the United States.

Geoblue Worldwide Health Insurance (required)

All Marquette students participating in study abroad will be enrolled in GeoBlue Worldwide insurance. OIE staff enroll all study abroad students in GeoBlue automatically. Students are emailed by Geoblue shortly before the start of their program with their GeoBlue insurance card. This card will have your GeoBlue website login credentials. While it's not required to carry a physical GeoBlue insurance card abroad, we ask all students save the PDF insurance card. Students will need the website login credentials to access GeoBlue services as well as to to file a claim with GeoBlue for medical expense reimbursement.

International Student Identity card (optional)

The ISIC card offers special discounts abroad and on airfare. It can be obtained online or in the Office of International Education, Alumni Memorial Union, room 425. You will need one passport-sized photo and a check or exact cash in the amount of $22.



Photo of students smiling

Office of International Education

OIE works to promote the internationalization of Marquette University by recruiting and advising international students and scholars, developing vibrant partnerships with international institutions and providing innovative study abroad opportunities.
Office of International Education