Business Career Center Challenge
Have you heard the advice to “get involved on campus?” There are numerous reasons why this advice is excellent – making friends on campus, trying new things and preparing for your career!
Before internships, one of the best ways to build the skills, experiences and career knowledge that employers look for is to attend events, get involved and try new experiences.
Getting involved is so important, we will reward you for doing so through the Business Career Center Challenge – Attend 3 events in your first semester in the College of Business and receive a professional portfolio to use at future career events and interviews! Students currently enrolled in LEAD 1050 are eligible for the Business Career Center Challenge.
How Does the Challenge Work?
- Approved Events
- Review the list below for some of the approved “Business Career Center Challenge Events.” Additional events can be found on Handshake. To determine event eligibility for events found on Handshake or other events, please fill out this form at least 3 days prior to the event to ensure review.
- Marquette student organization meetings and events.
- Ineligible Events
- Career Awareness Night is a required LEAD 1050 class meeting and will not count as a separate event.
- Lobby Tables – Connecting with employers at lobby tables is great but for this challenge, you need to attend and participate in an event or student org. meeting for it to count!
- Event Tracking: BCC staff will track event attendance through submission of a selfie to the appropriate D2L dropbox for your LEAD 1050 class (e.g. first event attendance would go in Completion 1 folder). Submissions should include: a selfie of yourself at the event (with something to identify the event in the background), the event name, date of attendance and a 1-3 sentence response to two of the three questions: 1. What follow-up questions do you have after attending the event?; 2. What did you find interesting about attending the event?; 3. How did attending the event impact your career or major interests?
- Please note that the spring 2019 LEAD 1050 extra credit deadline is on Friday, March 29 at 11:59 pm CST. Two event attendance submissions must be in by that time to be counted for extra credit. The BCC Challenge will continue until Friday, April 26 at 11:59 pm CST. Thus, those who complete the two events for extra credit need only attend one additional event and make the submission before April 26 at 11:59 pm to receive the padfolio.
Spring 2019 Events
*Please see Handshake for further events
Support: The Business Career Center Challenge is provided with support from Direct Supply, Northwestern Mutual (corporate office), the Northwestern Mutual Greater Milwaukee field office and Uline.
Questions: Contact the Business Career Center | firstname.lastname@example.org | 414.288.7927 | David Straz room 277