Real Estate Asset Program
Building something different
After 13 years of dreaming and 2 years of intensive planning, the Center for Real Estate at Marquette University, supporting one of the university’s top-ranked undergraduate programs, launched the nation's first undergraduate classroom-based applied learning program in 2021: The Real Estate Asset Program (REAP). REAP’s inaugural cohort began in the Spring of 2022.
Adding to this impressive roster of experiential opportunities for students in the College of Business Administration, REAP’s applied learning model further sets Marquette's real estate program apart from other undergraduate programs, leading to more successful graduates, more engaged alumni, and more supportive industry partners.
REAP - A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY FOR UNIQUE STUDENTS
- Marquette real estate majors in their junior year are eligible to apply to participate in REAP. REAP’s mission is to provide an applied-learning environment for a select group of real estate program students in which they gain real-world experience in investment sourcing, underwriting, closing, management, and investor reporting. Participants will make investment recommendations to the investment committee, with oversight of a more than $2 million pledged-fund of equity for investment, based on their analysis.
- Working with the REAP program director and investment committee as well as industry professionals, REAP students will apply their classroom training to make equity investment recommendations in actual real estate and then manage the ongoing investor reporting on behalf of investors.
REAP – CURRICULUM AND ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS
- Introduction to Commercial Real Estate (REAL 3001)
- Commercial Real Estate Finance (REAL 4002/FINA 4002)
REAP’s specialized curriculum:
- Applied Real Estate Asset Management and Modeling (3 credits) - Students are prepared for active investing in real estate property by re-underwriting past and existing deals to learn the acquisitions and asset management process and investor reporting.
- Intermediate Real Estate Investing (2 credits) —Students refine their skills through intensive underwriting of new deals and in-depth learning of the due diligence and market analysis process.
- Advanced Real Estate Investing (1 credit)—Students polish their skills, complete any deals, transfer portfolio reporting, and provide mentoring to the incoming cohort of REAP students
The application process for spring 2022 admission is complete. The next application period for the spring 2023 cohort will open in fall 2022.
The Real Estate Asset Program is made possible through the generous support of the following individuals:
- Michelle Panovich, Mid-America Asset Management (Investment Committee Chair)
- Pat Biernacki, Bus Ad ’08, Millennial Residential, LLC
- Trisha Connolly, Arts ’07, Ackman-Ziff Real Estate Group
- Steve Disse, Bus Ad ’86, Colliers International
- Molly McShane, The McShane Companies
- John Petrovski, BMO Harris Bank, N.A.
- Christopher Hughes, Bus Ad ‘88
- Walt Rebenson, Bus Ad ‘81
- Michael Klein Family
- Robert Kuesel
For more information or to indicate interest in the program, please contact Vito J. Taphorn, Director, Real Estate Asset Program.